The Advisory Board Company - Great place to learn, be prepared for low pay | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Advisory Board Company

"Great place to learn, be prepared for low pay"

Current Employee - Strategic Research Consultant
Current Employee - Strategic Research Consultant

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great company to learn how the health care system work. I've found that my coworkers are extremely smart, passionate about their work, and driven to succeed. Managers are usually willing to spend time training their staff. If you do well, you'll be given significant responsibilities fairly early in your tenure.

Cons

The pay here is about 25% lower than what you can make at other companies in consulting. The low pay spans every single department (from research to sales, even). For the last few years, given the tough job market, the company has been able to pay lower salaries and still recruit/retain top candidates.

This is starting to change.

In the last year or so, I've noticed a few of my peers who have been here for 3 to 5 years starting to look for jobs elsewhere (not because they don't like the company), because they can make significantly more money somewhere else.

Advice to Management

This is a great company and you have done really well growing it, but if you are to reduce our staff turnover, you have to either increase salaries or promote more quickly.

Other Employee Reviews for The Advisory Board Company

1. "Solid firm in principle, in practice it's different"

Pros

Good company culture officially, but everyone works really late and long hours, for decent (but not exceptional) pay.

Cons

Firm is hesitant to promote associate level staff quickly because they get a lot of value out of the positions and recognize that they can easily replace associate-level positions.

Advice to Management

Invest in your own employees more and maybe we wont leave!

2. "Ever changing...."

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- happy hours
    - innovation
    - your voices are heard
    - location
    - good health insurance
    - bonuses
    - focused on charity & giving back to the community

Cons

- mediocre pay
    - not a lot of exposure / interactions with executive level
    - not many subject matter experts in any one area
    - communication with new initiatives

Advice to Management

- there is room for advancement, but not a lot of mentors. If you're over 30 and not at a senior management level, there aren't a lot of opportunities to have someone sponsor you or be your advocate and learn from.