The Art Institutes - For profit school owned by a big corporation; good, talented local people controlled by big level execs. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Art Institutes

"For profit school owned by a big corporation; good, talented local people controlled by big level execs."

Former Employee - Full Time Faculty in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Full Time Faculty in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Art Institutes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My fellow teachers were, for the most part, talented and knowledgeable and really sincere about wanting to help students succeed, as were the Department Chairs and Dean. The support staff were helpful and knowledgeable. While they didn't have very high admissions standards for students, MOST students were dedicated and interested, really wanted to be there, and wanted to work hard. The facilities were OK but not as good as our competitors.

Cons

Google "Art Institutes" to see negative. Very low admissions standards. Some students should not have graduated high school. A few teachers had never worked in the field in which they were teaching, or simply couldn't draw their way out of a bag. We were also dictated to by the owner corporation re: textbooks and curriculum changes, with very little say-so in what we thought the students needed. No raises for several years, followed by ridiculously large massive layoffs that were not thought through. Lots of VERY highly qualified faculty were let go and some of the bad ones stayed just because they'd been there longer. The good, dedicated students will be the ones most hurt by the layoffs.(Well, of course, other than the teachers who are now out of jobs...)

Advice to Management

How much space do I have? Admissions portfolios!!! Higher GPA requirements! Give us teachers something we can work with, and your placement percentages will go up, and you will make money and you won't need to slash and burn like you're doing right now.

Look at companies like Toyota for how to run a business. Put out a god product, stop cutting corners, and the money will come. Start genuinely caring about educating people instead of just grubbing for money. Stop thinking of art and cooking as toss-off industries that any idiot can master; it's insulting to your teachers. Stop giving out massive loans to people who don't understand what they're getting into.

More flexibility for faculty re: curriculum and textbooks. Give us back a budget for bringing in guest speakers from our field. Give us some decent facilities like our competitor schools. We know what we're doing; let us do our job and YOUR school will regain its good reputation and succeed! (Although I'm not sure your reputation is salvageable at this point...) Your teachers are the heart of your school and you just shot yourself in the heart.

Other Employee Reviews for The Art Institutes

"A subpar school with no interest in education"

Former Employee - Student Tech in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Student Tech in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at The Art Institutes part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome co-workers and flexible hours

Cons

No real organization or leadership.

2. "Former fabulous company going downhill fast"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at The Art Institutes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fabulous faculty colleagues (for now)

Cons

Centralized control by corporate owners leading to massive layoffs and utter disregard for quality of education

Advice to Management

Get someone to buy AIP out from under the evil empire of EDMC