The Art Institutes - Think again, unless you're a sales career driven individual! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Art Institutes

"Think again, unless you're a sales career driven individual!"

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Art Institutes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, a good starting pay

Cons

I had no idea that this was a sales position; had I known, I would have never applied or taken the position. The work/life balance is awful, it's very difficult to manage your personal life when you're always at work. You will work late (6pm - 8pm) and Saturdays (6 days a week). High stress and redundant work, as the work is simple but your work days consist of calling people who are or were once upon a time interested in the school. You will have to meet enrollment goals. High micro-management! Our team meets at least once a week for a one on one meeting with a manger and two regular meets to see where our sales goals are. The company is on a budget, there is no room for promotion or salary increases, fyi. No overtime. High turnover. You'll work holidays and it's very hard to use the nice amount of PTO given to you by the company because of the blackout dates. If you enjoy sales, you may like it. If not, run!!!

Advice to Management

Be honest about the nature of this position. My entire training group had no idea that this was a sales job. Work on allowing your employees to have time away from the job. Working six days a week is not okay, It's extremely tiring.

Other Employee Reviews for The Art Institutes

"Awful, all lies, sales job!"

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX

I worked at The Art Institutes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that work there and the paycheck.

Cons

Not what they make it seem like during the interview process, once you are hired then you find out how awful of a place it really is. Sitting in a cube for a period of 8 hours or more calling off canceled lists, inquiries from years dating all the way back to 2000. Managers are awful and disrespect you. They hover over you and try to intimidate you by watching your every move. They will listen in on your phone calls to make sure you are being robotic when trying to convince and coerce a student to come in. Then they make you manipulate a student by telling them that they're getting this amazing education when in fact it is a six figure degree you might as well go to a REAL university. A lot of manipulation and conning I don't know how these people and the Institute still exists. Awful place to work! Do not work here is the advice I would give any person looking for a job desperate or not.

Advice to Management

Quit hovering over your employees they are all doing their jobs, word to the wise, manipulation and conning will come back to you. Being disrespectful to your employees and talking down to them as if they are children, is the main reason why your turnover is so high.

2. "Meeting revenue goals is more important than either students or employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at The Art Institutes full-time

Pros

The students and some employees

Cons

Recruitment and financial aid tactics