The Art Institutes - Faculty are not held in respect | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Art Institutes

"Faculty are not held in respect"

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at The Art Institutes part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Conventional online teaching position, using eCollege and with about 20 students per class, daily discussions and some grading to be done. Flexible hours, work at home.

Cons

Management is unprofessional. I was routinely offered classes to teach on 36 hours notice (often a new class I had never taught before and did not have the materials for). After I turned down such a teaching offer, I was asked by my faculty manager to formally resign as I did not have the right "attitude".

Advice to Management

To remember that faculty are the front line with students.

Other Employee Reviews for The Art Institutes

1. "Constant threats"

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Brookline, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Brookline, MA

I worked at The Art Institutes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helped some students change their life through education.

Cons

Management constantly threatened to fire us if we didn't make our goals- 50 calls a day (this has doubled since I left), 12 appointment sets a week, 8 interviews a week, 4 applications taken each week, and two personally developed referrals a week. With the economy being so tough and the cost of the for profit school so high ($120K+ for a Bachelor of Science), these numbers are extremely tough... Especially with the sheer number of colleges in Boston. Management also creates conflict through the cutthroat competition amongst reps.

Advice to Management

The turnover rate should be a clue that unhappy employees aren't going to stay and make numbers for you and job threats are counterproductive.

"Great Faculty and Staff, otherwise ..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookline, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookline, MA

I worked at The Art Institutes full-time

Pros

Most of the people who work there are compassionate, caring, and work tirelessly to help students succeed in and out of the classroom. The talent pool of the professors is amazing to pass along to students as well.

Cons

It feels like a school, it runs like a school, but it's managed by a big corporation that puts business demands on an educational establishment.

There has been a culture of negativity being contagious and employees often joke when the next layoffs are going to happen.

Advice to Management

Thank you's go a long way, people just want to be recognized for a job well done.