The BOSS Group - wonderful staff to do business with! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The BOSS Group

"wonderful staff to do business with!"

Former Contractor - Technical Writer in Dallas, TX
Former Contractor - Technical Writer in Dallas, TX

I worked at The BOSS Group as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great matches of talent and companies

Cons

None that I can say

Other Employee Reviews for The BOSS Group

1. "Generally very good, but some substantial changes due to growth"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at The BOSS Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a staffing company that generally has most of the resources of a mid-sized or larger staffing organization, but without some of the downsides you find with the bigger staffing organizations. If you like staffing but want to be in a friendly environment, BOSS is a good option. And while base salaries are very low compared to industry standard, the benefits are exceptional. You get to work on Macs, it's casual dress and you get great time off, including your work anniversary and birthday. Plus the company offers summer hours and a generous loyalty sabbatical for employees with 3+ years of tenure.

Cons

I spent several years at BOSS, in two locations -- one established and one newer office. In both, I've found that the organization is going through a lot of change (mainly due to growth) and in that process, communication across the organization has begun to deteriorate, especially between higher level management and employees. In the future, the regional manger role will hopefully help rectify this but that role adds another layer and does have the possibility of further isolating employees from higher level management. As a result of the breakdown in communication and changes in company culture, there has begun to be high turnover. That's not something you used to find at BOSS, but in the last year, I estimate that a third of the branch employees have left (if not more). And several of those were exceptionally tenured.

Additionally, the company culture is one of the things that generally makes BOSS a solid place to work, but they are struggling to convey that "special something" to new branches. The company really believes in five central values, including employee centricity. While most of the time they are good at embodying those values, things have gotten shaky lately. I could give many examples over the last two years, but most recently I experienced a situation that really felt like a betrayal of those company values and what I came to expect from working at BOSS. Specifically, during my last two years at BOSS, I worked on a draw salary plan. When I put in notice, I was initially told that I would be kept during my two weeks notice so I could help transition my workload and that I would be paid my draw for that transition period. But on day three, the regional manager abruptly let me go and I was told they weren't going to pay me for those three days I'd worked post-notice or the week before (because we are paid a week in arrears). While that is 100% legal because I was on a draw salary plan, my previous staffing employers had always paid out my notice period even when I was on a draw plan. Legality aside, it is morally very gray (especially to keep me for three days if they didn't intend to pay me) and I question the "employee centricity" of the company's actions. I later found out that I was not the only employee who experienced a version of this scenario and that knowledge is what compelled me to write this review.

Advice to Management

Work on communication between branches, and employees and upper management. Things have gotten very political and that is negatively impacting employees. Don't change payment plans, job descriptions, etc. without employee buy in (this happens often). Raise base pay and commission structure. For example, Aquent pays $70-90K base and the commission structure is more aggressive.

2. "Excellent company to grow your career and salary. Fun work environment, hands on leadership, caring owners."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at The BOSS Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great industry recognition and fun industry to work in, career advancement outlined from the start, lots of opportunity to grow in both sales & recruiting roles, equally valued, as well as opportunity to grow with sister companies and holding company. Low turnover because it's a great place to work. Office environment is fun, lots of activities to keep things motivated.

Cons

You may need to relocate for advancement. Most positions require participation in evening networking activities.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing!