The Berry Company - Inside Sales | Glassdoor
  1. "Inside Sales"

Inside Sales Representative in Dayton, OH

I worked at The Berry Company

Pros

Colleagues were - lot of idea sharing for success - motivated one another. Great environment in that respect.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations Responsible for selling print (phone book) ads - most clients cancel paid ads and go with only free listings Digital programs were not effective - Advertiser doesnt get good return on investment. This may have improved but during my tenure pretty large spend for small returns - often times customer would have buyers remorse.

Advice to Management

Use SMART goals - Specific, Measurable Attainable Realistic and Time Based - Emphasis on Realistic - Phone Books have gone the way of the Dodo Bird. Do not try to brainwash reps that their use has not drastically declined and then hold them accountable for those losses. Also offer digital products that are not so costly to advertiser Make sure there is truly a demand for advertiser services in those smaller... markets that the Berry Dayton office calls into. When the market is small (ie: town in the boonies) it doesnt matter how great your online presence is if there are only 3 people searching for your services every month - you are not going to recover your investment in such a small market. Also get rid of managers who seem to have people in tears everday. Just my two cents worth - most folks were great. Sales is tough and you hear "no" all day - don't make matters worse by expecting the impossible - overcoming all of those print advertiser precancellations and losses - Starting a new phone book with accounts having already called in to cancel the next publication - and being in the red on day one is really demoralizing. your reps will end up totally dissolutioned. Hopefully some of this has been addressed since my tenure bc i truly loved working at Berry but I could not pull off the impossible. I am pretty good too - I am happy to report that I have had Great Success in Sales since leaving Berry. If these things have been addressed - go for it - its a fun place to work and family/work balance is awesome!

The Berry Company2016-10-19
  1. "Digital Media Advisor"

Digital Media Advisor in Fenton, MO

I worked at The Berry Company for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful management and extensive training.

Cons

Competitive industry and tough to close a sale.

The Berry Company2016-08-12
  2. "A very good company"

Former Employee - Technician in Manhattan, KS

I worked at The Berry Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pros for this company? paid health screenings. Bonuses for meeting goals, Decent pay. Good management. Solid workplace.

Cons

There are a few negatives. Because the company doesnt move personnel that often, there have been a few toxic people in the company.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye out on employees. Cameras, or security devices. My leaving the company was more of an issue because something that shouldnt have been tolerated was. And a lack of provisions caused an issue to go beyond salvaging and caused my release of employment.

The Berry Company2019-02-20

Discover more reviews about The Berry Company.