The Borenstein Group - One of the best agencies on the East Coast and one I'm proud to have called my home. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Borenstein Group

"One of the best agencies on the East Coast and one I'm proud to have called my home."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Visionary leader in Gal Borenstein and an immensely talented team. Gal taught me everything I know and helped me on to great success in the industry. Couldn't ask for a better mentor or friend. I'd be honored to join forces with him again any day. Exceptional workplace that rewards creativity and smart strategy. Stellar work product. Great opportunities. A real gem of an agency.

Cons

Don't expect a free ride here. Gal takes pride in his craft and expects the same from his team. But if you're serious about living up to your full potential, you'll find great success and rich rewards at TBG.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, Gal. You've built something very special, and you've got a lot of big fans! Cheers!

Other Employee Reviews for The Borenstein Group

"I found the experience to be very frustrating."

Former Employee - Business Development/Account Management in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Business Development/Account Management in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Because we had worked with government clients - we had off all of the federal holidays. In terms of perks - I was given 3 weeks vacation when signing on - which is better than a lot of other agencies offer. Also because it was a privately held company that was run and managed by the founder/owner - the ability to do things differently from the mainstream was definitely enticing. There were some great people who I worked with who were trying to make a difference.

Cons

What was perceived as pluses - definitely also served as the things that were most wrong and frustrating. There was no process or logical reason for why things were done the way that they were, other than that is what the owner wanted which never felt right ethically. The people who I worked with lived in constant fear of losing their jobs if they did ever crossed paths with what had been set up as the status quo. As such a lot of things that could have resulted in positive change were never long lasting.

"If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't."

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

Pros

First let me state that having worked for the company for more than eleven years, I believe I am uniquely qualified to provide a credible review of the company that speaks to the true culture and experience that one can expect to find there.

As for the "Pros" the Borenstein Group is a very small agency and as such provides a quaint and close-knit work environment that can be appealing. The owner is fond of touting the "family atmosphere" that the agency provides and the sense of "team" it generates. Being a small agency also affords the ability for employees to wear multiple hats and work on a range of different aspects of a given project rather than being limited by a narrow job function, which can also be appealing to some and useful to people just starting in the business.

Cons

Compensation - Low.
    Company billing rates were low so salaries were below industry standards for the region. Benefits were the average you would expect, but nothing to really offset the below standard pay, and good luck being able to take any of your accrued vacation.

Work/Life Balance - Non-existent.
    It was a regular occurrence to get an email or call with some task in the middle of the night or on a weekend and prompt reply and action was always expected. This is something that you might expect in a high-end agency where salaries are high enough to warrant it, but it's not acceptable at a small time agency that is unwilling to pay for that level of commitment. I worked an average of 60-70 hour weeks there.

Recognition - Little to none.
    You would think that a job well done would garner some recognition, right? Not the case at the Borenstein Group. In my last year with the company, I was part of a team tasked with making a major operational and financial overhaul of the company. After having spent a year successfully getting the house in order allowing the business to continue operating in a rough economy, we were told by our supervisor this, "You have accomplished everything I asked you to and more, but I am not happy because you did it without me and despite me." No thanks for a job well done. He fired the entire team a few weeks later, despite our having achieved all that was asked and more. The company survives today because of the work we did.

Favoritism was rampant and erratic, and was not based on merit or skill, but rather on obsequiousness. If you became the favored star, it was time to run for the hills because it almost never ended well. In the eleven years I spent with the company, almost everyone who was ever fired from the agency was the favored star immediately preceding getting fired. And they were usually fired by email over a weekend. I can attest to the fact that 90% of the people ever fired from the company have been fired in this way. It’s a stunningly long list.

The company flounders year over year because it can't pick a direction and stay with it. In my eleven years, the company fired its senior management team no less than seven times, creating a constant revolving door and a lack of direction or momentum.

Why did I stay there for eleven years? All I can say is, when I became a senior manager, I foolishly thought I could fix things. The problem was, the only thing that was truly broken was the one thing that couldn't be repaired or removed. When all is said and done, this remains a privately owned and operated company, and is therefore subject to the whims of just one person.

Advice to Management

My advice for senior management is simple. Take a true leadership stance and stick by it, stop changing direction and flushing the entire team on a whim every 12-18 months.