The Boston Globe - Reporter | Glassdoor

"Reporter"

I have been working at The Boston Globe full-time

Pros

Great company and colleagues, fascinating work and great location downtown.

Cons

Stagnant pay and business challenges

Advice to Management

Do a better job not avoiding big missteps in production, delivery

Other Employee Reviews for The Boston Globe

1. "Pleasant surprise"

Pros

Great benefits and one of the most competent HR teams that you'll ever come across.

Cons

The move to the new downtown office eliminated free parking but otherwise it's been a nice transition.

2. "Scramble for every crumb"

Current Freelancer - Correspondent in Boston, MA
    Current Freelancer - Correspondent in Boston, MA

I have been working at The Boston Globe (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've freelanced for the organization for several years. I've gotten to work with some very smart people and been trusted to use my own initiative and exercise my own judgment on projects. Payment is notably prompt, via direct deposit. Support staff (like HR) are very responsive and a pleasure to work with.

Cons

The freelance budget in my department has been cut several times in recent years, making for fewer story assignments, which combined with a shrinking paper overall and what seems like an increased dependance on content written by college student "co-op" participants (a paid intern situation) has made things very grim. I've been fortunate enough to work with editors who have been very responsive, but the email inbox of the leader of the department I work in seems to be a black hole; she makes it a practice to ignore emails and calls. In the past I've attempted to have a meeting to discuss what future I may or may not have at the company, and was unable to even get a response. From what I can tell, this is unusual for the organization and just bad luck for folks working in this department. The fee for projects is respectable, but my fees have has not changed since I began contributing more than five years ago. Attempts to negotiate an increase have never yielded a response from the department head. I get the general sense that I should be available to fulfill projects on short notice but am otherwise invisible. Other media organizations I freelance for have made greater efforts, even if only through words, to make me feel like a valued part of the team.

Advice to Management

Recognize the value contributed by your freelancers, and do more to make them feel like part of the team.