The Children's Place - Not the worst job. | Glassdoor

"Not the worst job."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Aurora, IL
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Aurora, IL

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A generally upbeat environment. There is a camaraderie among associates, and my store manager is usually very positive. Typically understanding of flexibility needs.

Cons

There are a lot of politics going around management, and it's easy for the associates to get dragged into it.

Corporate doesn't seem to be very understanding of what it's actually like to work in one of their stores, and often demands (on short or no notice) large changes in the store, that must be done in one night.

On-Call shifts are a major pain. I hate not knowing if I have to work until an hour before. It makes plans impossible.

The "Yes I Can" policy tramples over every other company policy. There are sometimes situations with customers when, according to "Yes I Can," I should do what they want me to do, even though it's been made perfectly clear that breaking X policy can result in termination. It leaves associates conflicted.

Raises are a joke. After working there a full year and getting a good review ("exceeds expectations" in one category and "meets expectations" in all others), I got a raise of 22 cents.

Advice to Management

Give more notice and allow more payroll for PPP, window, and floorset changes.

Other Employee Reviews for The Children's Place

"Family Centric? Yeah right"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

fashion forward clothing at a reasonable price. i loved my clientele base that i was able to build while working there

Cons

poor wages. long hours with no overtime pay as a salaried mgr. they just did a re structure and several ppl lost their jobs. the upper management never cared to invest in the associates on staff when they came in, just management. they say they stand for family values- but in an effort to make an extra buck- they made all outside "street entrance" stores open for business on easter.

Advice to Management

care more about the people who work their tails off for you.

2. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exceptional pay and vacation plus sick time, considering the overall volume the store does each year.
    Flexible Schedule
    Learn a lot by rotating Divisions of Responsibility, you get experience managing sales, talent and visuals.
    Annual pay raises if you do your job correctly.

Cons

Payroll management is difficult. They tell you to hire a lot of people seasonally but current staff does not get any hours.
    Need more payroll for the amount of work that is asked of you... i.e. floor sets and weekends.
    Typically work with only 2 people in the store at a time.
    Sales associate left on the floor alone for majority of their shift.
    No designated shipment team makes it difficult to check in and process over 50 boxes of shipment everyday (M-F) since you also have to maintain visuals, assist customers on the floor, sign up credit cards, run the cash registers, run the fitting rooms and do all the housekeeping.
    Most of the time there is more stock in the back room than on the sales floor because there isn't enough time to get all the product out with minimal coverage.

Advice to Management

Don't pay store managers, assistant managers and co-managers so much and sales associates so little. You would be able to schedule more people which would increase productivity and positivity.