The Container Store - Room to grow? | Glassdoor

"Room to grow?"

Current Employee - Visual Sales - Part Time
Current Employee - Visual Sales - Part Time

I have been working at The Container Store part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee-first culture
Skill development
Nurturing environment
Flexible scheduling (as Part Time employee)

Cons

Advancement to Full Time is long and drawn out, and, at most times, seemingly unattainable. I have witnessed several great employees go through the process for many months at a time, only to resort to finding Full Time opportunities elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Be more concise about advancement opportunities.

Other Employee Reviews for The Container Store

"If you buy into the hype they WILL use you and burn you!"

Former Employee - Full Time Visual Sales in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Full Time Visual Sales in Arlington, TX

I worked at The Container Store full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Company attracts many great people because of their unique philosophies and guiding principles. They pay is good for a retail job.

Cons

After working in multiple stores over years experience has shown time and time again this company does not stand for they things it says - like treating their employees right assuming the best in people, managing with grace of authority etc. They use their guiding principles to manipulate their employees. Especially with part timers constantly dangling carrots in front of you stringing you on to make full time. Once you figure out whats going on they just stop giving you hours other than making you unload the truck at 5am.

Advice to Management

I've seen time and time again qualified people go to other companies because they got passed over by cheerleaders for the company that don't have a clue. This goes for part timers, a full timers looking to be managers and a good manager at one store trying to become a GM. The pattern continues with Area managers promoting weak GMs with a track record for failure and mismanagement. I don't know if they are trying to promote to fire or if they are really that detached from their own managers. Behind closed doors managers have poor attitudes, lack of engagement and lack of leadership.

Imagine a store with three managers, and a GM who may spend roughly 30 minutes on the sales floor you have the Container store management model. They never close, they never open, they make their full time team run the store and manage the employees. Being a manager at the container store has to be hands down the best job in retail and they are paid well too. Its insane how little they really do. You could easily have 2 managers do the same thing and remove the GM all together.

The conversations that go on behind closed office doors about their employees is appalling and goes against everything the container store says they stand for. Hearing how they plot to get rid of people and sweep them under the rug may be par for the course for some companies, but when they inundate you with the "we love our employees" brainwashing every day, its sickening to see what is really going on.

2. "I had a great experience in the time I worked there."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coppell, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coppell, TX

I worked at The Container Store full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture and fairly open communication. We were never required to work overtime but it was available periodically.

Cons

Pay was not very competitive and the periodic raises were not very significant.

Advice to Management

Keep communication open and pay more attention to the fact that pay levels contribute to a good culture also.