The E.W. Scripps Company - Designer at EW Scripps | Glassdoor

"Designer at EW Scripps"

I worked at The E.W. Scripps Company full-time

Pros

Great people, fun environment for the most part.

Cons

Another cheap company with empty promises

Advice to Management

Say what you mean, mean what you say...

Other Employee Reviews for The E.W. Scripps Company

1. "Good place for someone starting out in journalism"

Former Employee - Multimedia Journalist in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Multimedia Journalist in Naples, FL

I worked at The E.W. Scripps Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at the Naples Daily News, and was given near-full autonomy to do what I wanted as far as coverage within my beat, which was essentially local sports coverage. I was encouraged to be creative, and was given every opportunity to do things I felt passionate about. I was given some pretty good tools to do my job, but they were mostly leftovers from my predecessors, who were given a big budget during a time when the paper was doing much better financially.

For the most part, I liked my co-workers, and feel like I developed professionally and personally during my time there. The actual Naples Daily News facility is state-of-the-art, and you won't find too many newspapers these days with the building and equipment that NDN has.

Cons

- Reductions in pay, mediocre benefits, FROZEN benefits.
    - Working with editors was sometimes a hit-or-miss sort of feeling. Higher-ups can be a little out of touch with the workflow of a current journalist.
    - Your success is tied to the overall success of Scripps as a whole, not just the individual success of the paper that you work for, which leads to some frustrating limitations.

2. "Candy at the end of a rope"

Current Employee - Photo Editor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Photo Editor in Austin, TX

I have been working at The E.W. Scripps Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the workforce is composed of good people, good working environment and professionalism overall. Corporate policy seems to be enlightened but when you meet the corporate faces, it's obvious they're there for the big salaries and lack conviction to the same principals they hold their workforce to.

Cons

Very top heavy pay. Corporate rakes in wealth while the minions continue to slave in order to keep those at the top wealthy (including the Scripps family). Pitiful health insurance, no pension, but they always dangle the possibility of things getting better in front of you. Four years without a raise yet the CEO makes several million dollars a year. Really?

Nothing but change. While change can often be good, it has gotten in the way of producing a good product and has become so tiresome I'm looking elsewhere. It's just constant disruption after disruption without focus from the top or the bottom. We're all left fighting for our jobs and fighting for any scraps that may be thrown down by corporate.

Advice to Management

You cannot cut your way to success. Staffing levels are not anywhere near where they should be and neither is compensation. I personally am making less as a manager than I was as a reporter once you figure in loss of certain compensation and loss of overtime. You're loosing good people or have burned them out due to the often exhaustive workload and lack of creative input.