The E.W. Scripps Company - No Career Management | Glassdoor

"No Career Management"

Current Employee - Revenue Operations Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
Current Employee - Revenue Operations Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at The E.W. Scripps Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, lots of work to do.

Cons

No room for promotion. Career management is handled very poorly. A lot of micromanaging goes on here.

Advice to Management

Office culture is lacking. Lots of negativity swirling around.

Other Employee Reviews for The E.W. Scripps Company

"Management Talks out of Both Sides of their mouth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at The E.W. Scripps Company part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My work is with one of Scripps' television stations in the United States. Despite the frustrating attempts at times, the stuff we do is incredible and very satisfying. You're at the forefront of news in your community and the world, and there are times where you actually feel like you're making a difference.

Cons

I have been an employee at one of Scripps' broadcast stations for nearly a decade. Despite changes to my job through consolidation of other positions, nothing has changed. Still part time,. Still no benefit options aside from a 401k, and still no respect from my manager. Every year I get met with glowing reviews and every year I get told I'm "Exactly the kind of employee that we want to have for decades" yet every year I'm still stuck with 21 hours a week and a loss of hope. Attempts to show my value by volunteering my services for additional work have only gone on to increase my job duties, while at the same time increased my "expected" workload with no additional compensation.

It's kind of funny, to be honest. The last two years they've been rolling out this corporate wide propaganda about how "people are their #1 resource" and how every person is geared to go up. Yet, every time I get a sliver of an opportunity to move up, my manager shuts the door as hard as he can. The consensus around the station is that if you're really good at what you do, they'll do whatever they can to keep you in that position, even those that are part time and very good at what they do (I'm not the only one).

Advice to Management

Put up or shut up. You tell us that people are the number one source, but it really doesn't feel like it. Tell your managers that you need to be setting your employees--especially the dedicated ones--for the next position not just keeping them afloat until they lose hope and leave. I have seen countless people leave and go to rivals, people who were VERY talented and VERY good at what they do, because they were passed time and time again for advancement and someone outside was hired with much less experience and much less talent. Boehne said in an e-mail once that 'Scripps doesn't hire mercenaries," but the fact that every position I've tried to get into and that I'm more than qualified for was filled with people who were either JUST graduating college or STILL in college indicated that quality and talent take a back seat to costs.

2. "Terrible management"

I have been working at The E.W. Scripps Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to take on added skills, opportunities for overtime. Good camaraderie amongst employees. Culture was amazing before new additions to management sullied the pot.

Cons

Management looks to pass the buck often. They treat workers like children and are creating a culture of avoidance. Management has favorites and have little knowledge of what is going on.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring family members or people within the company. Bring in new blood.