The Goddard School - The Goddard School | Glassdoor

"The Goddard School"

Current Employee - Head Teacher
Current Employee - Head Teacher

I have been working at The Goddard School part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with children and watching them graduate.

Cons

.Need more field trips.to stimulate children

Other Employee Reviews for The Goddard School

"Terrible experience, the children were the only thing that kept me going."

Former Employee - Co-Lead Teacher in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Co-Lead Teacher in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing kids and families, friendly co-workers, steady hours. After spending 40 hours a week with the same kids, it's very easy to become attached and form strong bonds with the kids and their families. The families were definitely very grateful for the effort and care that the teachers put into their jobs. Co-workers were all very friendly, although it was hard to get to know other teachers unless they were with similar age groups or your classrooms were close to each other. As a co-lead teacher I was guaranteed 40 hours a week, so a steady paycheck was nice.

Cons

Very low pay. For a full-time teaching position the pay was awful, I could easily make 2-3 times as much waiting tables. They offered to give me a 40cent raise when I graduated with a 4-year degree, I had to laugh at that! The owner was never on site, which left the director to run the school on her own. I actually saw the owner's family at the school more than the owner himself. The extremely overloaded director was very demeaning and often spoke to employees about other employees in very negative ways. Made for a toxic work environment. There was no time given to teachers to write 2 weeks worth of very tedious lesson plans every week, and I always had to use my lunch break or evenings at home to finish the work. Also, no stipends were given to pay for class decorations (which had to be updated every month, another thing that no had to be done during lunch or after we clocked out) or materials for lesson plans. Children were juggled from classroom to classroom to try to fit ratios, families were being lied to, and teachers were regularly forced work out of ratio. It was very sad for me to see that such great families were paying so much in tuition, but being kept in the dark about what kind of environment they left their kids in for 8 hours a day.

Advice to Management

Value, respect, and be supportive of your employees. They are the ones that spend every single minute with the kids, and they are the ones delivering the care and education that keep a preschool/daycare going.

2. "Stressful..."

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The kids of course, staff is pretty friendly. Decent hours, and always get 40 hours per week.

Cons

Lead Teachers have A TON of work to do and do not always get the support they need to do it. Benefits are terrible and "QA" is ridiculous.