The Hanover Insurance Group - Worst Job I have Ever Had | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Hanover Insurance Group

"Worst Job I have Ever Had"

Former Employee - Insurance Service Professional in Worcester, MA
Former Employee - Insurance Service Professional in Worcester, MA

I worked at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay
Amazing benefits
Beautiful campus
Lots of wonderful people

Cons

- Management treats employees as though they are incompetent
- Extremely disorganized & chaotic
- The service center is a black hole and even though your co-workers (not management) are wonderful, they'll all agree with you on how miserable it is to work in that department
- Very little notice on when schedule changes are made, we have been told the day of even
- Management treats employees extremely disrespectfully
- Very political and barely any chance to move up.
- No matter what you do, management will NEVER listen to you. I had some wonderfully intelligent people on my team that had recommendations, and they were completely ignored.
- No matter how much work you do, you can be top in sales, you will get yelled at for something
- EXTREMELY micromanaged. All of us would get points taken off (banned from bonus) FROM GOING TO THE BATHROOM. Also, they have yelled at many people for coming back from lunch (I kid you not), either one minute late or in my case, 1 minute and 45 seconds late....

Advice to Management

Hanover Insurance gets tax breaks for hiring so many people every year so they really don't mind the huge turnover. I wish they would have listened to their intelligent, charismatic staff and valued who they had employeed. Instead of being a typical call center with new hires every month, they could have retained people of strong knowledge who knew the systems and knew the contents. My original staff left. I think out of a staff of 30, only five original people are left. Beware! Some of those people even left without jobs to replace Hanover's!! That's how uncomfortable it is there.

Other Employee Reviews for The Hanover Insurance Group

"Excellent work enviorment, with a great work life balance and a stable place to work."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Worcester, MA

Pros

The people are great to work with and the company is really starting to evelove. I think this comany is going to develop into one of the top insurers in the US.

Cons

Growth in the company depends on who you know and if you are recognized for your work. Sometimes the old roots of the company holds back growth.

Advice to Management

I think some older departments need to be revamped and spend money on more technology upgrades.

"I was sucked into a black hole. All talk with no action."

Current Employee - Sales in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Worcester, MA

Pros

- Company isn't going anywhere (160 years old)
    - Good Benefits

Cons

- Treated like children, all talk and no action
    - Micro Managed
    - Black hole - no advancement opportunities
    - Schedules change with little notice, holes in the schedule are drawn from a hat to see who covers
    - No time off the phones for training, or developement - must be done after hours

Advice to Management

Promote from within! Get competent management who care about employee development and listen to their employees. Have some semplance of a career path. A yearly cost of living raise would be helpful to compensate for lower salaries.