The Hanover Insurance Group - Good company, but room for improvement. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Hanover Insurance Group

"Good company, but room for improvement."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst II in Worcester, MA
Current Employee - Financial Analyst II in Worcester, MA

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Company is small enough that you can still make an impact by putting in the effort. No need to worry about being another face in the crowd.
- Senior level management is knowledgeable and have bought into the vision and strategy of the company. The messaging from them is consistent.
- Most of the people are exceedingly pleasant, friendly, and approachable. It's easier to get through the day when you don't feel isolated or like a worker drone
- There are office politics, but less than I have seen elsewhere.

Cons

- The career ladder isn't there. Many analysts report directly to one of the numerous VPs w/o clear career path forward.
- Antiquated systems, need to know how to use work-arounds to compile relevant data. Technology group is generally seen as a hindrance in completing tasks rather than a partner, so individual groups create their own work-arounds that are unique to the group.
- Some people are just collecting a paycheck, and it's noticeable.
- Cafeteria is not good. The place can't even make pizza right...

Advice to Management

- Invest in improving systems that will last us the next 10 years, not the next 10 months.
- Senior management should try to be more visible. You rarely see most of them around the building. Even if you do, the interactions with most of them normally don't seem very warm or inviting.

Other Employee Reviews for The Hanover Insurance Group

"Rats off a sinking ship in Michigan"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Howell, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Howell, MI

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. Managers are so busy filling vacancies of fleeing employees, no one holds us accountable for anything.

2. Our professional development now includes daily role playing on how to handle unprofessional, unethical and inappropriate behavior from RVP, and State Management.

3. Once average employees are suddenly valuable and desired now that the best ones are gone. Don't worry, there is still time to get in on this. More people will leave soon!

4. Casual dress code installed by new RVP. Shirts unbuttoned to mid chest, loafers with no socks. Chest hair OK.

Cons

1. Real lack of leadership in this place. RP is disengaged. Just an old guy trying to finish his career and get out. Complete inability to judge talent as witnessed by the number of jerks and incompetent people in key roles who are allowed to hang on. Hiring new RVP who is unqualified for the role and creating havoc on the office is just the latest. This guy is a joke.

2. Unclear expectations and no real path for promotion. We hire incompetent people from the outside who block the way for lower level employees. People leave for much better
    jobs.

3. Talented people are leaving everyday. My work is growing. Morale is bad. Not confident it will be fixed until RP and RVP are gone.

4. HR has ignored serious issues for years. They are no help.

5. Sadly, our agents are suffering too. Ignored and unheard. New guy says, "Everything is great".

Advice to Management

Fred, It's time for a new "journey" in Michigan. We are on the same path as the Edmund Fitzgerald.

2. "Good"

Former Employee - Underwriter in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Like all the previous reviews I have read, the people you work with are great, trying to do the best job with some terrible tools. The people I worked with were a great team. But slowly they all moved on to better things, including me. I would not discourage anyone working for Hanover, just be prepared to been frustrated. You will learn a lot you can take with you.

Cons

Systems are antiquated - Going live with programs half developed, too many work a rounds, time consuming so you cannot always keep up with the work load.
    Some people you have to deal with barely speak English and they are trying to solve your problem.
    Very frustrating to go to a job where the training is inadequate at best.
    Goals should be given before the year starts. Underwriting appetite so restricted team goals unattainable; Reports don't make sense, to many systems to get information from, that numbers are skewed and inaccurate.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring managers just because they are “YES PEOPLE” that keep Sr. Management happy and don’t really understand the frustration of the people doing the work. I had 4 managers in 5 years, so frustrating…
    Managers not holding people accountable for not doing their job, either they are afraid or they just happen to be buddies….the manager cannot not and should not be your friend……
    When you lose good people, its Hanover’s loss and the other carriers gain.