The Hartford - Structure, Metrics, Point System, Talk and be a Robot: Not such a good company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Hartford

"Structure, Metrics, Point System, Talk and be a Robot: Not such a good company"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Allentown, PA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Allentown, PA

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work indoors in a comfortable office or working from home.

Cons

Only 30minute lunch, they make you stay on the phones until the very last minute of your shift so that you stuck on a phone call and can never leave on time, they have a metric system that is the largest I've ever see in my life that you have to follow numbers, they make you talk like a robot to every customer and take points off if you don't, if you are late to work because of traffic or accidents on the road it's your fault and you get a tardy or unscheduled which counts against you so that they can add them up and have a good reason to fire you, they coaching weekly or biweekly on you imperfections, they want you to rush the call with the customer instead of providing good customer service, they make employees compete against each other and play games like as though we are in kindengarden.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like professionals not kindengardeners. Allow employees to leave when there shift is over. Longer lunch breaks. Focus on good customer service versus numbers. Keep the goals simple you overdue it with metrics and making employees talk like robots.

Other Employee Reviews for The Hartford

"It was fulfilling but limiting"

Former Employee - Premium Auditor in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Premium Auditor in San Jose, CA

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, Stable company, good management

Cons

Remote work, No local office

"Decent benefits, but pathetic salaries"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Woodbury, MN
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Woodbury, MN

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

PTO is generous compared to similar firms and medical/dental benefits are decent. 401k program only offers Hartford mutual funds, which are pathetic; one of few companies left offering a pension on top of 401k, which is nice.

Cons

Salaries are extremely low and not competitive. Hartford chooses to map salaries for jobs to other companies in the industry (which is normal), but does an "apples to oranges" comparison and doesn't appear to reach outside of the insurance sector to compare jobs and duties appropriately when mapping salaries. Also, depending upon what part of the company you work for, employees may or may not have the lattitude to make simple decisions without extensive consultation with management. I don't have this problem, but people who work in different divisions of the company from me do.

Advice to Management

Figure out what it is you want this company to be and then empower the employees at all levels to achieve those results. Additionally, see my "cons" as I'm not the only person who shares these thoughts.