The Hartford - Started out wonderful, went south in the past few years | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Hartford

"Started out wonderful, went south in the past few years"

Former Employee - Senior Research Consultant in Hartford, CT
Former Employee - Senior Research Consultant in Hartford, CT

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be - the people. The department I worked in was full of wonderful people who came to care about each other.
Work/life balance was pretty good and became better as technology advanced. Being able to work from home on foul weather days was much better than having to choose between a dangerous commute and spending a vacation day.
Pay was good, but collapsing from "grade level" structure to "tier" structure made for fewer steps in the career progression; I preferred being able to take small steps more often instead of rare big steps.

Cons

Almost no formal training - and as budgets were tightened, access to training became even worse
Massive off-shoring of IT functions. Layoffs of entire departments, loss of massive amounts of institutional knowledge.
Do they really think we're stupid enough to believe that an increased company contribution to our 401(k) makes up for eliminating the pension plan?
Could never understand why they hired a CEO with absolutely no insurance experience. Work environment started deteriorating after Liam McGee came onboard. Don't know what this new guy Swift will do with the company - they laid me off too...

Advice to Management

We are dealing with people in their hour of need. We are not making widgets. You cannot standardize or "lean" everything in this business.
Your employees are human beings, too, not machines. Walk the walk regarding "inclusion and diversity" - make it mean more than just skin color and sexual orientation.

Other Employee Reviews for The Hartford

"It's about who you know"

I have been working at The Hartford full-time

Pros

Location, hours, stability, job security, people

Cons

lack of advancement, no perks,

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on advancing the new hires and try giving attention to those who have been with the company trying to advance.

"Career growth if you work hard"

Pros

The people are great and really care about the customers.

Cons

Call center metrics can be a challenged. Staffing currently is an issue to find qualified people to do job.