The Hartford - It's like jail. Homeless drug addicts have more freedom than Call Center Reps. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Hartford

"It's like jail. Homeless drug addicts have more freedom than Call Center Reps."

Current Employee - Call Center, Customer Service Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get three weeks off, and can buy a fourth week. They give you so much time off because you will need it.

Cons

You are tethered to your chair for 7 hours a day. The only time you can get up from your chair is during two fifteen minute breaks and a thirty minute lunch. If you leave your desk for any other period of time, you will have to account for that time. My boss once told me that if he were still working on the phones (as opposed to being a manager), he just wouldn't take a bathroom break, meaning we (the employees) shouldn't take bathroom breaks.
The customers who call in are mean and angry as a rule. The nice customers are the exception. Keep in mind, that people hate insurance companies and when they call in to customer service, they have a problem that needs to be fixed, so that makes for a negative combination.
The call volume is high, so you're dealing with angry people back to back to back.
There are barely any advancement opportunities. When I worked there, people who trained me and who had worked there for years and years still were on the phones.
You have no control over your job or what you do in the 8 hours you have to be there.
Oh, and a substantial amount of people who work there are obese because the job is so sedentary and unhealthy.

Advice to Management

No advice to management because management does not care.

Other Employee Reviews for The Hartford

1. "Good"

Former Employee - Senior Compliance Specialist in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Compliance Specialist in Hartford, CT

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Growth is always available for me

Cons

Pay too low for me

Advice to Management

Pay more

"Workaholics only need apply"

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work at home option 2 days per week. Good benefits

Cons

Expect to work 60 hrs a week to do just standard work. Company as a whole is solid however quality scores currently drive the company, instead of actually thinking through some inefficiencies. Staff is expected to work like robots. Staff morale is very low.

Advice to Management

Stop it with all of the multiple quality reviews and start looking at giving employees back the autonomy that they had a few years ago. Individuals could actually get some work done if they did not have to duplicate their work in a half dozen different places, for the sake of getting good quality scores. Company is totally run by metrics now. No longer a fun place to work. Employees are stressed to the max. Hire some worker bees and stop saying we are fully staffed.