The Home Depot - What a motivational company. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

"What a motivational company."

Current Employee - Cashier in Thousand Oaks, CA
Current Employee - Cashier in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredibly well trained employees. If you have a question they know where to send you. Motivational programs that are like I have never seen. I did not think that existed anymore. The management goes to extremes, to create a positive environment. I am a new employee, who spent 17 years in the Grocery industry. I never saw anything like what I saw at the Home Depot in the grocery industry. This company is going to be around for a long time to come.

Cons

The only thing that I see is in the self check out. The new machines are far to sensitive in detecting items in the bags. I find my self running back and forth to ok people, because the machines don't sense anything. This takes away from the time that needs to be spent with the customers that need it. The person in self check is busy running back and forth pressing buttons so that the customer can check out that is simply buying a few light things.

If the new scales were simply adjusted, the employee in self check out would be able to expedite the transactions. They would also be able to give the customers that need the attention all the attention that they need.

Advice to Management

However your over all training and motivational system is amazing and unseen in many companies.
I can only say that I admire it.

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

1. "A new customer service experience."

Former Intern - Sales Associate - Seasonal Lawn and Garden in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at The Home Depot as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The management team is friendly and very helpful. You are required to complete online courses for the department you work in.

Cons

You may be required to work the closing shift one day and then turn around and help open the store the next morning.

2. "The power of Home Depot"

Former Employee - Cashier/Lumber/Delivery Order Picker in Rockland, MA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Lumber/Delivery Order Picker in Rockland, MA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard working proactive Management, Good Focus on Making Sales Plan. Walks by Upper Regional/District Management to aid progress.

Cons

Lacks real training for sales associates, taxing environment to work in, too easy to hide in store. "Learn by doing approach to training" I was trained, informally by a computer and then 'released into the store and had to fend for myself. There was also a lack of reward for performing well, making sales plan, or new credit accounts was only available in a management position. Also the company had a lack of rewards for hard working associates and gave awards for acts that should be expected. I did not feel truly appreciated until I broke the news to the managers that I was quitting.

Advice to Management

Make sure you let the people who are "high potential" that you appreciate them before its too late. Also a written system for tasks to do for the day would be a better approach for the sales force, like what is done for the Out of Stocks and No Homes once you achieve a department head position.