The Home Depot - Very nice employees! | Glassdoor

"Very nice employees!"

Current Employee - Cashier in Oxford, AL
Current Employee - Cashier in Oxford, AL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good benefits.
Very nice coworkers.
Great pay
The best managers

Cons

There are a lot of customers.

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

"Progressively got worse"

Former Employee - IT Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This was a very fast growing company when I began working there in the early 90's. The company had a family atmosphere and I believe everyone put the overall success of the company ahead of their own personal successes (we called it bleeding orange). The feeling was if you did what's best for the company, you would be rewarded down the road. We worked hard, partied hard, and enjoyed the fruits of our labor. We built the vast majority of our systems in house and actively promoted from within. Life was good.

Cons

When the founders (Bernie & Arthur) of the company left and Nardelli was brought in from GE to be the new CEO, the culture of the company changed completely. The list is too great for this space but some of the negatives include: outsourcing of IT staff, the replacement of FT store associates with PT folks with no product knowledge. Little to no work/life balance. In general, all processes and operations were overhauled to cut costs and improve efficiencies. Departments at the SSC no longer collaborated, but now competed with one another. Senior management ruled by fear, intimidation and were basically bully's. The GE / Walmart mentality may be good for some, but the culture shift was a complete 180 from where it was when I started. I will say that things started to get better once Blake took over.

2. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fellow associates and most of management are amazing individuals to work with. Knowledge of fellow associates is often in-depth and invaluable. As long as you get your work done, no one bothers you. Quite easy to get promoted from being a temp, to being permanent. It is also quite easy to go from one department to another, or to even transfer from one store to another. Fellow associates often have a genuine and deep bond with one another. I also approve of Home Depot's efforts to include Spanish-speaking associates and culture, as well as try to put on do-it-herself workshops or children's workshops. They also seem willing to donate to schools and community events upon asking.

Cons

Favoritism, nepotism, and disorganized and apathetic upper-management. Are not open to working with associates who have children, or are going to school, have associate or personal conflicts, or have medical needs. I've heard it all, and I do not hear of good support. The swing-shift schedules are within legal bounds (8 hours between shifts), but very unhealthy. Very little employee benefits (no employee discounts, ect). "Success-sharing" scheme is mostly a joke, and seems to encourage management to cut hours to meet sales goals. It is very very very difficult to get promoted to 'full-time' through hard work, knowledge, or personality. No small amount of kissing-up is required. The pay is determined during your first interview. Raises and equality of pay is completely unbalanced. Some people get paid lots to do very little, and some get paid very little and do lots. Some people will start out at more pay than people who have been working for years.

Advice to Management

You reap what you sow.