The Home Depot - Great Company | Glassdoor

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Portage, MI
Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Portage, MI

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Home Depot works based on a great set of core values that it instills in every associate. They strive to achieve great customer service which I have not noticed in other similar retail businesses. The greatest thing about working at the Home Depot is the comradeship of team members.

Cons

The only con I have witnessed is a lack in staffing during some busy hours during the week when most contractors are in the store.

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

"Absolute worst civilian job I've ever had"

Former Employee - Merchandise Execution Associate in New Rochelle, NY
    Former Employee - Merchandise Execution Associate in New Rochelle, NY

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was on the MET (Merchandise Execution Team), so I had very steady hours, and a full 40 per week. Those hours are 5 am to 1:30pm (in some places, 6am to 3pm with an hour lunch) with a half hour lunch, Monday through Friday with weekends off. This is good and steady, but one of the main reasons this is such a pro is because you will need the time after work to schedule interviews to find a new job ASAP.

Cons

All management, and most supervisors, are completely incompetent and utterly ruthless. You are treated like a diaper, to be used and thrown away. It is very "clicky", in the sense that if you are in the right group of folks, you will do well, if not (and 75% of associates are in this latter category) then you will have a rough time there. You are constantly threatened and degraded, the pay is bad and the raises are pathetic (20 cents a year, if that). They over-work you and treat you like a child. In short, I really can't say enough negative things about home depot. I quit the moment I found a new job. If you must work here 9or already do) just play the game, try your best to stay off the radar, and spend at least an hour a day applying to jobs. Get out as soon as you can, don't let them steamroll you out when they want to change the blood.

Advice to Management

Management at Home Depot is absolutely the worst aspect, disrespect towards employees and customers, underhanded childish and ruthless tactics. Management, including executives, need to be completely replaced. The reason it is impossible to find help is because management antagonizes and destroys its own workforce. This is bad for the employees and the customers. Less ruthlessness, less childishness, less stupidity and incompetence. Hire intelligent folks who know how to deal with people and MOTIVATE a task force, not disciplinarians who can't string enough words together to write down a sentence. Enough said.

2. "About What You Would Expect"

Former Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Set Schedule - Typically fun people to work with - Normally pretty laid back - Traveling aspect can be fun I guess - Some projects can be fun or interesting and help break the day up

Cons

Supervisors can sometimes take themselves too seriously - Job can be monotonous - Not much chance to move up - Pay is low, but it is HD - No vacation time for the first year

Advice to Management