The Home Depot - Huge Retail Store With LOTS To Do | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

"Huge Retail Store With LOTS To Do"

Former Employee - Cashier in Vauxhall, NJ
Former Employee - Cashier in Vauxhall, NJ

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is very interpersonal compared to other Retail companies in terms of co-workers. They have a locker room and provide you with a masterlock. A good sized break room with vending machines and kitchen area as well as a nice meeting room.

Cons

I worked in a Home Depot Super Store so having to walk from one side of building to the other was a journey. During the winter it could get fairly cold even with heating fans above.

Advice to Management

I was a Front End Cashier and the whole idea of standing in front of your station was not very effective (at least for me). Even while greeting customers they would overlook the fact that I was in fact a Cashier ready to take care of them. Some of them would even ask if I was the cashier (since our Aprons do not specify a position) because they thought I was a supervisor or from a different department. I resigned (due to college) in good standing. I suppose specifying a position or department number on the Apron would benefit not only the customers, but the employees as well especially within a Super Store.

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

"Unless you absolutely need a job, don't go there."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I needed a job , and went there. The pay is moderate, and I have some insurance coverage, most of which I pay for. The job is putting food on the table, but that's all it's doing, check to check.

Cons

Despite management's constant referral to Home Depot's "Values", that they "Live" everyday, trust me they do not. I've been working for 40+ years, and had many positions, of all of them this one is where I am least appreciated and respected as a human being. Management constantly bullies the employees, trying to micro manage every aspect of our lives. Starting with the scheduling of hours , which does not allow you to have any kind of life outside of the box. One day you start at 6 AM, the next it might be 2 PM, or 11 AM , or 9:45 AM, well you get the idea. There are also the threats of termination from your position, either from management whim, or a whacko customer, and it only takes one such customer for you to lose your job. I've had to deal with numerous such customers, who seem to have some issue going on in their lives, and merely come into a store to take their frustrations out on the first employee they run into. If they whine to a manager you are gone, no recourse. Management claims to care about the associates, they really only care about the bottomline, you're just a number.

Advice to Management

Relax, stop the bullying , and make it a pleasant place to spend a major portion of our time.

2. "Good"

Former Employee - BIA
    Former Employee - BIA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers were nice and so were most of the associates.Manager allowed my schedule to change so I could attend school. Ability to advance if you work hard.

Cons

Pay could be better. Corporate gave us more tasks to do throughout the week so it made it harder to complete the tasks we HAD to complete every week. Some associate's would not do some tasks they should so it made others job more difficult.

Advice to Management

Make sure that necessary changes are made.