The Home Depot - awesome | Glassdoor

"awesome"

Current Employee - Department Supervisor
Current Employee - Department Supervisor

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the pay is good compared to other retail

Cons

the hours change every day. its a little hard on the body

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

1. "The good outweighs the bad. Overall pretty good."

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Florida (Uruguay)
    Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Florida (Uruguay)

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you like helping people it's a good job, Bonuses are good, and are based on how your STORE performs.

Cons

Strange hours are a killer.( get off one day at 9 P.M. drive 45 min or an hour home.. come in the next day at 5 A.M.) Swing shift is impossible to get used to, mostly after about 2 months people just call out so they can get some rest for a few days. Constantly changing things around for no reason it seems. The only place I've ever worked where the managers think moving the location of something 3 or 4 or even 5 times is not only ok but desireable.

Advice to Management

Stop giving "award badges" to your friends or only those that ask customers to "see my boss and tell him/her what a great job I've done". I've seen some people with 4 years have literally 75 badges! and people with 15 years have 1 or 2 a year! Not only does everyone notice but it makes some people SLOW DOWN AND STOP DOING THE WORK! badges represent MONEY, either give it out equally to those that deserve it or keep it for our raises. We know people that have so many they can't wear them all, and in most instances they don't work harder or do more than anyone else.. we also know people that help customers all over the store and they get ignored by the managers.

2. "Steady job."

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers to work with. Probably the best in terms of pay in the retail industry. Very flexible when encountering family or personal issues when extra time off is needed.

Cons

If one is looking to advance, sometimes doing a good job is just not enough - management looks for people to promote and don't expect consistency.