The Home Depot - Fun place to work | Glassdoor

"Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Temple, TX
Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Temple, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The associates are like family, customers come first, we can get recognized for our hard work. When a customer comes back in telling you how great their project turned out, that is what it's all about. If you like helping people and solving problems, this is a good place.

Cons

Heavy lifting, understaffed a lot of the time, mgmt always wants more out of you. My knees and back, shoulders, basically everything is really feeling the labor of this job. I have been bruised in more places than I care to count, but I don't have to do any other workouts, I get plenty on my shift. Some days I can put in 9 miles on my pedometer.

Advice to Management

Put more focus on training, it has to be a priority. I have not had time to go take a class in months.

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

"Good place to work but could do with some changes"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Tracy, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Tracy, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

Good starting pay (12.50/hr) for associates, recently revamped pay scale increase
    Friendly work environment, coworkers are all hard workers
    Plenty of hours during peak seasons
    Good communication about opportunities
    Seniority is respected
    Company seems eager to make changes to make this the best place to work

Cons

Will practically force you to work overtime or risk losing scheduling, the job is tiring so when you go home you go straight to sleep and have little time for family/friends. Management doesn't seem to acknowledge that not everyone sits in an office. I was a "part-timer" working 40+ hours several times
    Management doesn't take the opinions of associates seriously
    "Us" vs "Them" environment
    They talk about opportunities but still hire from the outside
    Favoritism is strong here
    Employee morale is touted to be a high priority but is actually near the bottom of the list, if it's on the list at all
    Stopped distributing as many Homers and replaced them with "Shout Out" cards (no one wants a lunch with a GM they don't care for, they want money)

Advice to Management

Visit your distribution centers and talk to the associates without the presence of lower level management, what you hear WILL change. Home Depot is the largest home improvement company on the planet, it can afford to reward its employees a little bit more for their hard work. Most of the concepts for improving efficiency and production are good, but some of the steps and/or people implementing them are not the best suited for the situation. Audit employee/management relationships more often. The best changes are usually the ones suggested by the people on the floor, actually doing the work.

2. "Beautifully Tragic!!"

Pros

Good pay lots of excitement.

Cons

no morals , lack of core values

Advice to Management

follow the rules and never deviate