The Home Depot - Assistant Store Manager | Glassdoor

"Assistant Store Manager"

Current Employee - ASM
Current Employee - ASM

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Associates. Solid direction. Frank Blake. Very demanding and challenging.

Cons

Breakdown in values at store level. Seeing actions counter productive to message from leadership at the top. Seems the disconnect with leadership is regional, and therefore detrimental to the corporate direction.

Advice to Management

Need to start having town halls with associates facilitated by people outside the district. Probably an independent.

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

1. "Associate"

Current Employee - Associate in Annandale, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Annandale, VA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees at the Annandale store come from diverse backgrounds; however, despite our backgrounds, we form a large and cohesive family-like sales unit. Every associate works toward improving our customers experience within our store. Management routinely rewards the associates with cookouts on the store apron, and nightly rallies around the service desk. The Home Depot makes a point of supporting their staff during times of greatest need. As an example, one of our department supervisors recently suffered a myocardial infarction, which placed him on the disabled list. The remainder of store management rotates in substitution for the stricken supervisor. In my forty-years of government service, I have never witnessed such devotion and dedication to your fellow employees in the public section. I find it unusually right and fitting that the private sector employees at The Home Depot should exhibit this kind of caring for their fellow employees. The Home Depot stores promote from within their own organization, thus allowing each associate to form his/her own career path with the company, if they can stay the course.

Cons

The Home Depot’s decision to implement temporary hiring as an institutional requirement for entry, results in lessened monetary compensation for all. Unfortunately, the PPACA (Obamacare) employer mandate for medical benefits makes The Home Depot decision to hire temporary employees first, and eventually transition them to part-time status (etcetera) is understandable, albeit regrettable. This makes the transition to full-time employment a long process, which includes working the unwanted schedules, (e.g. store openings (5-AM) or store closings (11-PM)) for up to twenty-four months with limited hours per week throughout the transition process. These criteria make it all the more difficult for those who want to stay at The Home Depot to remain on staff. The Home Depot recently initiated a stock buy-back program to raise the price of the stock. While it may make some investors interested in the stock, it lessens the P/E ratio for the entire corporation, which drives down (not drives up) consumer demands.

Advice to Management

If you truly care about the progress of each store, then show yourselves at the stores throughout the world. We like seeing Frank wandering about the store and talking with the associates and managers.

"Huge opportunities to broaden your knowledge"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, casual dress code, performance rewards, management that wants to help you get to where you want to be, challenging and rewarding work, upper management always willing to see you and hear your opinions and ideas, success sharing, pay well, reasonably priced cafeterias, full gym, on-site preschool, employee stock purchase program, tuition reimbursement, committed to getting products to customers during emergencies asap

Cons

Can feel like a large corporation at times, small annual salary increases, satisfaction will vary by group

Advice to Management

Stay in closer contact with those doing the projects you commission to make sure that it is what you want early and often