The Home Depot - Great company to work for if you work hard and learn | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

"Great company to work for if you work hard and learn"

Former Employee - Regional Manager in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Regional Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay for good work, close knit associates, good benefits, good 401k,

Cons

work/life balance for upper management

Advice to Management

More vacation time or comp time to unwind....retail is tough

Aug 2, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review and over 10 years of dedicated customer service. We appreciate your review and will share your feedback with others.

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

1. "When it's good, its good, and when it's bad it torture."

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The opportunity to learn about construction materials, and help contractors with a wealth of knowledge to make you a better sales associate, or lead you to a more profitable career.

Cons

Home Depot seems to welcome bad managers. Is it a wage issue, or lack of oversight?

Advice to Management

The biggest problem that plagues the Home Depot is their poor selection of qualified managers. Often it seems that HD wants to hire ASM's that are unskilled in managerial skills so that they can do their bidding. A happy worker makes a happy, and loyal consumer base. Home Depot is losing sight of this important element only to save money to make shareholders happy. Too many experienced employees have left, or have been let go to cap wages. Wouldn't it be better to stop raises at a certain point rather than lose your assets? Customers have their favorite employees, and ones they know can answer their question, and help them to collect and find everything on their checklist. When an inexperienced manager is forced to find ways to cut expenses, they see higher waged employees as easy prey, but fail to realized the repercussions it will have on the store environment, and shopping experience for contractors, and DIYers. Home Depot needs to realize that $8/hr for a lot tech, and $9/hr for a sales associate is why they cannot find dedicated employees. In a warehouse environment with the added liability of public traffic, Home Depot needs to come to the realization that investing in their employees is an asset and not a liability. When working at McDonald's gives you the same take home pay as Home Depot, realistically, who would want to work at Home Depot?

Aug 12, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and... More

2. "ok for retail"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pay for management is at the high end of retail with very good bonus structure. many locations to work at in all 50 states

Cons

no discount, pay horrible for hourly, very low standards in buffalo market, no accountability in buffalo market.

Advice to Management

pay hourly employee better, higher standards in store, better district staff needed

Aug 12, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.