The Home Depot - Do not try to make a career here!!! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

"Do not try to make a career here!!!"

Current Employee - Senior IT Developer in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Senior IT Developer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you are a contractor.

Cons

Definite pattern of limiting forward progress of anyone that doesn't wear dress slacks and button downs. Definite good old boy network. They will allow you to work like a dog and not reward you and come up with lame excuses as to why you are not being promoted. Should rename the place 'TCS's Home Depot' they have so many contractors in the place.

Advice to Management

Get a reality check about how work gets done stop being so clueless as to why people are leaving IT left and right.

The Home Depot Response

Aug 23, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

"Department Supervisor"

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team culture implemented by the store manager was the best aspect.

Cons

Expectations by corporate were unattainable.

Advice to Management

The customer isn't always right

"Times are changing"

Current Employee - Kitchen Design in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Kitchen Design in Detroit, MI

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No 2 days are ever the same. Working with the public, doing fun and interesting projects. Some flexibility on work schedule.

Cons

Pay bands that keep shrinking, over worked and always understaffed. There is not usually a clear line of management. Everyone who walks through the door has a new and better system, which is undone by the next VP who walks 2 weeks later. Cashiers are not treated very well. Almost no chance of becoming full-time unless you are hired in that way.

Advice to Management

Everyone is concerned with shrink. We hear it everyday, yet we are paying our new cashiers near minimum wage now. These are the people at the "front line". They are often the most interaction customers have with us. When someone is making $7.50 an hour and they are not allowed to work more then 28 hours a week, they aren't as worried about losing their job when a weekend party sounds more fun. They can leave and get a job at Wendy's making the same amount. When I started with the company, the cashiers were paid $9-$10 to start and they were often a lot better at their jobs.

Also, if someone really wants to know what the stores look like, why do they ALWAYS announce their visits in advance? I can't tell you how frustrating it is to work every night struggling to balance 4 customers, but at 10 AM that day, the store had aprons tripping over each other because someone "big whig" was in. The slice of the pie under shareholder value has begun to get bigger and bigger against do the right thing and respect all people.

None of us want to go the way of Circuit City and other retailers who didn't change with the times, but you also don't want to become the next Walmart either. As the economy gets better I am seeing so many people leaving the company.

The Home Depot Response

Aug 29, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and ... More