The Home Depot - Nonchalant management, unreasonably disrespectful customers, terrible hours | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

"Nonchalant management, unreasonably disrespectful customers, terrible hours"

Former Employee - Cashier in Irving, TX
Former Employee - Cashier in Irving, TX

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Usually awesome staff, slightly above minimum wage pay

Cons

Terrible hours, horrible customers, disrespectful/uncaring management

the hr manager shows up and rearranges the schedules without informing people, the managers don't care about employees being harassed by customers and no matter how many times you report it, they tell you to "flirt back to increase sales" or "stop whining". No matter how many times I informed them of my inability to work certain hours, they wouldn't work with me. Cashiers get blamed for theft no matter what proof says otherwise. Overall a terrible place to work due to the stress they cause.

Advice to Management

When your cashiers(whom you claim are important) inform you of sexual harassment from customers, do something about it. Actually care about scheduling; don't have three cashiers and only two closers. Don't promise people promotions or raises when you have no intention of giving them.

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

1. "A very Large organization"

Current Employee - MET Associate in Carol Stream, IL
    Current Employee - MET Associate in Carol Stream, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wages could be better at the bottom but the benefits are pretty good. They are making a good effort to take care of their people.

Cons

Big company with big politics. More work being piled on the bottom levels and metrics are king often obscurring good work

Advice to Management

Recognize that good work and ability don't always show up in the numbers and compensate the hourly workers more in line with work required and rsponsibility and less with comparisons with competing businesses

The Home Depot Response

Jul 26, 2013 – Client Partner

“Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values! Thanks for recognizing this in your review. Our nearly 300,000 associates share The Home Depot’s “orange-blooded” culture, which encourages ... More

"MET Team"

Former Employee - Merchandiser- MET Team in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Merchandiser- MET Team in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MET Team was basically the ONLY position available through Home Depot that allowed you a set schedule of M-F 5-2. Great hours, easy work.

Cons

Pay was barely more than minimum wage, when regular store associates were making close to double MET wages. Cost of insurance for a married couple was almost equal to half of your salary.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a salary they deserve. You expect your employees to have knowledge and experience in that area, but do not offer wages inline with experience. Offer affordable insurance.