The Home Depot - Challenging | Glassdoor

"Challenging"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Minneapolis, KS
Current Employee - Merchandiser in Minneapolis, KS

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The merchandising execution team position has been a constantly evolving and top-performing introduction to the company over the past few years. Alway busy, never a dull moment. Fun projects. The work we do is apparent and satisfying. Challenging in finding solutions to the problems that arise and can sometimes push to the limits of creative thinking.

Cons

Inconsistently staffed on the floor to help with customer service. Associates constantly disappear while leaving their phones behind. Supervisors spending too much time in the back doing their work and not enough time on the floor assisting associates.

Advice to Management

The consistency of direction leaves something to be desired. What is ok one day turns out to be not the next. Need more structured and longer length rollouts of new projects that we take on, and not having the expectation of hitting the ground running with perfection from day one.

Sep 6, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. They are encouraged to adopt and adapt good ideas from others, and initiate creative and innovative ... More

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

1. "Overall good, but has went downhill recently."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Winder, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Winder, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, and standard compensation. Good training program if you are allowed the time to utilize it. If you like working with people, the customers can be fun and challenging. I loved working for Home Depot until the management changed.

Cons

Retail hours and good ol' boy network. In order to be full time, you have to have open availability, Not just for when the store is open, but even for overnights if required. Not guaranteed time off request even if you have the vacation hours to cover them. Working ALL holidays. Often running into the male dominated attitude in management.

Advice to Management

Educate store managers on inclusion and get rid of the "men are better" attitude. Train all management (SM, ASM, MOD and DH) on people skills and proper ways to correct undesired behaviors in their subordinates. Yelling at employees in front of other employees and/or customers is not good. Nor is assuming that because a customer complained about something that the customer is telling the gospel truth and the associate is lying. (this hasn't happened to me, but I have been the unwilling, embarrassed audience). Improve ways for store associates to let the powers that be know when their store management team is out of line.

Sep 20, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More

2. "Home Depot Jobf"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington, NY

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, great stable company, room for advancement.

Cons

Beginning pay is not great.

Advice to Management

Offer associates incentive to get ahead.

Sep 6, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback and we are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot! Did you know we offer a variety of training courses, leadership programs, mentoring ... More