The Home Depot - My journey working at THD...so far very challenging! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

"My journey working at THD...so far very challenging!"

Current Employee - Merchant Assistant in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Merchant Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At the home depot the employees truly adapt to the culture which consist of the value wheel. There is a genuine sense of loyalty and comradery amongst the employees (i.e, company cheer in every all hands meeting).The company tries to make the employees feel they have perks/options. At the SSC there is a daycare, fitness center, minute clinic, CVS pharmacy, and cafeteria. Another pro is all associates receive success sharing (bonus checks) twice a year if the stores do well and meet their sales objectives.

Cons

Well one of the cons is THD does not offer discounts to the product in the store to any of its employees. So far I have had 3 positions at THD, and I am noticing a serious lack of a true training format, and in some roles its really "sink or swim". In my most recent role, I had a huge learning curve and had to rely on my peers heavily because there was no structured training. I am more knowledgeable of my role now but for a minute I began to get discouraged. Another con is THD has no career plan or mentor program in place for its hourly employees. So you really have to beef up your networking skills and take the reigns into your own hands if you want to move around the company and develop your career.

Advice to Management

In addition to knowing your role in management, it would be helpful to learn your subordinates role (or have some working knowledge) to assist with training...so that if that person quits the whole department wont crumble to pieces.. Also listen to the suggestions offered by the employees and really try to implement those suggestions given with practical sense.

Sep 19, 2013 – Client Partner

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We have shared your feedback with others. Our associates are encouraged to adopt and adapt good ideas from others, and initiate creative and... More

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

1. "Department Supervisor- Manager In Training Program"

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company with great values that truly values employees

Cons

It would have been nice to have a little more negotiation power, but other than that good. Overall, i liked the hiring process. I felt very valued and appreciated for my experience.

Advice to Management

None

Sep 20, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot.

2. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At my store, the majority of people working there are fun and a pleasure to work with. The Success Sharing is a plus and the management staff is great. It has been a great 2 1/2 years working there.

Cons

I hate that THD accepts almost everything that gets returned - whether it's been used, broken, missing parts, cut chain. Then, we associates have to figure out what to do with the junk. Why doesn't THD follow their own return policy instead of offering a free tool rental service? The loss prevention at my store is pathetic. None of the alarms work and there is no plan to get them fixed. Yes, customer service will help in some theft prevention, but the pros walk in, accept help and are very friendly, then walk out of the store (or don't even leave!) and take their goods straight to the returns desk, where they get a store merchandise card, which they then turn around and sell on the internet for a fraction of the face value.
    The pay rate is low compared to competitors. No discounts even though our competitors offer them to their employees (as well as benefits), yet THD says that they survey the pay/benefits and pay comparable to the area. Umm, in what world is no discount and lower pay 'comparable'?
    The scheduling system is not the greatest. Can't there be a way to have relatively fixed schedules for those that need/want one?

Advice to Management

Get serious about loss prevention - wouldn't that help keep prices lower?

Sep 24, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are... More