The Home Depot - Assistant Store Manager | Glassdoor

"Assistant Store Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

In working in several stores, I have found that this varies among the District leadership. A strong Store Manager and a decent District staff makes all the difference. The staff can focus on sales and the customers. This makes the day-to-day job functions enjoyable.

Cons

On the contrary, if a store finds itself with a subpar manager or an ineffective District team, the store becomes unbearable. This is typical in most large retailers. However, the leadership in the southern US has not shown the capabilities to eliminate these ineffective leaders. District staff and Store Managers are left to flounder and create poor store and district execution and results. This leaves a cyclical problem when trying to "fix" once prosperous stores, managers and sales.

Advice to Management

There is a disconnect from the District Teams to the store management and associates. There is not enough training through walks with the appropriate individuals. This is due in large part to the constant changes of the District Walks and metrics. If the stores continue to hit the moving target, the beneficial impact of any type of metrically driven walk is nullified. Pick what is relevant and focus on that. This may not be Corporate's intent, but it is the result at the local level.

The Home Depot Response

Oct 15, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We wish you were happier with your current management. Please call 1.866.698.4347 and select the option for the Associate Advice Council Group ... More

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

1. "Home Depot"

Former Employee - Department Supervisor
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good for a part time job

Cons

No work/life balance possible with schedule given

The Home Depot Response

Nov 22, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

2. "Department Supervisor"

Current Employee - Department Supervisor
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Benefits are great (ie, medical, vision, 401k matching, success sharing)
    -Coworkers are great people usually

Cons

-Unrealistic expectations (40 hour work week, no allowed overtime, worklist that gets bigger each week)
    -Pay is lower than local market
    -Brick wall when wanting to move up to the next level, if you don't grab a megaphone and yell, you won't be noticed, even if you outperform others at your level

Advice to Management

Take care of your front line supervisors, they are the ones running the company. Too often, the good ones get brushed off and "held accountable" for minute details when the bad seeds breeze on by; despite the fact that each supervisor is "held to the same expectations."