The Home Depot - Fulfilling Job, Not much of a future | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

"Fulfilling Job, Not much of a future"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable job, Good job for a retiree, single person, or as a second income.

Cons

Not enough pay by itself to support a family. Little control over work schedule.

Advice to Management

1. There are people who work at HomeDepot who want to go to church from time to time, not just once every 3-6 months. This is my biggest frustration. I have to specifically ask for a Sunday off to go to church, not just expect it every few weeks, as would be reasonable.
2. Lack of overlapping coverage in the departments (at least in my store) is frustrating. There is often not even anyone to cover a meal break.
3. Freight stacking up for over a week in receiving is not acceptable. We need freight (pack-out) associates! And train them properly!

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

1. "great intro into sales"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Corona, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Corona, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great team members. fast paced, always something to do.

Cons

wasn't enough employees on the floor we were stretched thin.

"I enjoyed the interaction with the customers helping them with the how-tos and materials needed for their projects."

Former Employee - Associate In Lumber/Building Materials and Hardware Department S in Merriam, KS

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It provided a place to use my skills and knowledge as a remodeling and home improvement contractor ( the only one in the dept. at the time I was there) assisting the DIYers with their projects. One can keep up with the new products that come on the market for home improvements.

Cons

I did not like the rotating shifts times. I believe working the same shift all of the time allows for the associate to get to know the customers that shop at those times. This builds the customer's confidence in the company to ask for help on longer projects from an associate that is familiar with the customers abilities and skill levels.

Advice to Management

I think management spent too much time being concerned about the store sales record without enough attention to the fact that how the employee feels about his worth to the company can affect their day to day efforts to promote the store. I was only part- time and left when I mentioned to the store managers that I had a full-time job offer and instead of them trying to get corporate to make me full-time and keep me, I was told "If you want to quit, do so. We do not care."

The Home Depot Response

Nov 13, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and ... More