The Home Depot - Reasonable for entry-level, but you're not going anywhere. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

"Reasonable for entry-level, but you're not going anywhere."

Current Employee - Freight Team Associate in Bothell, WA
Current Employee - Freight Team Associate in Bothell, WA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This was a great first-job for me, as it was easy to get hired and start working. Plenty of hours available with the occasional overtime, and lots of part-time position openings.

Cons

You're not going to accelerate up the ranks at Home Depot, as much as they claim you will. There's no real opportunity for raises, and the general feeling you get is that the company is benefiting as much as it can from being non-union. They're more interested in having low-quality work and paying less than they are in having high-quality associates and paying the difference.

Advice to Management

Reward employees that put in extra effort. If you like their work, convince them to stay.

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

"Lack of good leadership and lack of associate help"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Broward Gardens, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Broward Gardens, FL

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the time decent retail hours to work ,flexibility in getting the days off needed.

Cons

Low pay for hard work.Working in a store with low foot traffic and expected to generated a high quota at all times. Being held accountable for sales while being threatened with dismissal(to be fired) if not getting the quota accomplished.Butt kissing supervisors who don't protect their employees back and only care for their own back, and don't take care of their employees and treat them with disrespect include management.You are expected to work in every department even though you are a specialist and need to work in your own department only.Not as described in your job description.Many times there is no one on the floor, in the adjacent departments.Cutting on stuff to put bonuses in the managers pockets.There is no career advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Stop targeting employees as a personal hate target,leave them alone to do their job.Stop letting people go because they make tool much money according to your standards (not to say morals ,something you don't have). I know personally many people,good people who where let go because they where making too much money according to Home Depot standards but they were top sales people in the company.You don't know how to appreciate people and you treat them like garbage after working many years for you,You suck as a company because your managers suck and your management turnover is horrible .You need to stop having such a high turnover and be more loyal to the employees. Give better raises,and learn to keep good employees and value your employees which you don't!!!Its the people who make the company not the company that makes the employee!!!There is no career advancement opportunities,make sure you let associates grow and move to different store and different departments don't just think about yourself which you do all the time,only hbtink about yourself,that is not how you run a company.You nee d to keep your employee happy,satisfied and growing in position!!!

The Home Depot Response

Dec 3, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs. . Please call 1.866.698.4347 and select the option for the... More

2. "Interesting people, not so interesting job, and demanding work."

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are rarely going to get bored. There is always someone to talk to, be it customer, co-worker, or even boss. A ton of learning and product insight to do there. Even at the crack of dawn till closing, you are rarely going to become bored.

Cons

Pay is not so great, considering that there are never enough people there for work. Often times, you are working in multiple departments, and are often under appreciated. The managers occasionally have compassion for others, but lack leadership skills and communication with other departments. They say they put customers and associates first, however, that isn't always the case.

Advice to Management

Be more compassionate, flexible, and understanding to the associates. If you really want to be number 1 again in customer service, you better be good to your associates. If you give gold to the customers, give platinum to the associates. Then those associates will give platinum to the customers. If this analogy doesn't make any sense to you, go read up customer service and associate care from Marriott or Costco. Maybe, implement some of their strategies to your company.

The Home Depot Response

Oct 25, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and... More