The Home Depot - Upper management is the problem! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

"Upper management is the problem!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waterbury, CT
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waterbury, CT

I worked at The Home Depot (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay wasn't bad, sometimes work was enjoyable

Cons

most of the mangers cared about themselves and then the workers, At least at my store. they lacked quality workers.

Advice to Management

Working on hiring people that care about the job and not just the money

The Home Depot Response

Nov 20, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. Our associates are the key to our success. We strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are respected, their contributions are valued and they ... More

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

1. "A+ COMPANY TO WORK FOR"

Current Employee - Cashier in New Port Richey, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in New Port Richey, FL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, Benefits Success Sharing

Cons

Drama. NO PAY RAISE WHEN I WENT TO ANOTHER DEPARTMENT

"Disconnect between stated values and actions"

Former Employee - Bilingual Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Bilingual Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned quite a bit about various products and techniques used in home repair and improvement.

It was some decent retail experience mixed with a little bit of warehouse experience (if you could get the proper training [more on that in the cons]).

The stated values that Home Depot holds as a company are community- and associate-oriented.

Cons

Getting the training I wanted (and at times needed) was far too difficult. It may have been specific to my location, but even with management calling for my department to get lift-truck certified, I still hadn't been given the hands-on training needed nearly four months later (despite having already done the computer training).

Despite having stated core values espousing its support for and high valuation of store-level hourly employees, two month after starting at Home Depot, the part-time employee hours were cut dramatically. I went from averaging 36-38 hours a week to 20-24; they also refused to hire or promote hardly anyone to a full-time status, even if the employee was committed and needed the boost.

Finally, after the semi-annual performance reviews, I spoke with several colleagues and found that no one, despite fantastic sales numbers and customer responses, seemed to score above adequate. It seems like that's par for the course, as it allowed them to forgo having to consider pay raises, as everyone was apparently merely "adequate".

Advice to Management

Take care of your associates. Teach your middle management how to properly engage and motivate those at the lowest levels. Several of us had experience, education, and drive, and were dissatisfied with the way we were being treated as mere peons in the Home Depot hierarchy.

The Home Depot Response

Oct 29, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More