The Home Depot - Not a great experience | Glassdoor

"Not a great experience"

Former Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, sick time, vacation time, discounts for phone service.

Cons

Middle management is disorganized and crazy. They were constantly coming up with schemes to reduce costs that caused long-term employees to quit or get fired. Meanwhile their labor models were perpetually shaving more people off the floor - why the customer service is so bad (BTW). Also, if you are a cashier you are stuck. They will not move cashiers to the sales floor because they are too expensive to train. Their idea of 'loss prevention' is to make sure cashiers are mentioning the "Home Depot Credit Card" and the completely b.s. survey that no one ever wins anything from. They have absolutely no way of gauging cashier competency except metrics. So if you are fast and accurate you are a great cashier even if you have the social skills of a robot, can't think for yourself, and have no clue how to genuinely help a customer. Also, they expected cashiers to be responsible for checking receipts of people exiting with merchandise even if they were in the middle of counting money, checking out other people, helping customers, or were insanely busy doing all the above.

Advice to Management

I hope you have improved since I was there. If not, seriously, putting registers near doors is not a way to reduce theft. You need a dedicated person at the door, not a cashier, who knows how to diplomatically check receipts.

The Home Depot Response

Nov 26, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. Our retail associates and managers alike are essential parts of The Home Depot’s retail network. We appreciate your feedback.

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

1. "very infomative"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

getting familiar with the local average consumers habits and needs - Knowledge of building materials

Cons

different level of customer service among associates - 70% of the associates are most intersting for the paycheck than improving their skills daily...

Advice to Management

train your associates more.

The Home Depot Response

Nov 18, 2013 – Client Partner

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We have shared your feedback with others. Our associates are encouraged to adopt and adapt good ideas from others, and initiate creative and... More

2. "Great Work Environment"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Marcos, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Marcos, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with customers, constant improvement, counted education, benefits, friendly environment, great P/T Pay

Cons

Hard to get F/T, no extra pay with store certification and extra training/responsibilities

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees and the responsibilities they hold