The Home Depot - cashier | Glassdoor

"cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Gainesville, GA
Current Employee - Cashier in Gainesville, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great company to work for awesome people concerned about familygreat company to work for awesome people concerned about family

Cons

part time hours hard to get full time hours drive part time hours hard to get full time hours drive

Advice to Management

more hours

Feb 7, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are... More

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

"Retail is retail"

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Victor, NY
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Victor, NY

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Starting hourly wage is above minimum wage. Management is generally nice and friendly. Most coworkers are friendly. Can wear jeans, sneakers, hooded sweatshirts, can have tattoos, some piercings and dyed hair. Store is open long hours and has overnight crews so there is some schedule flexibility. There is some fun, such as pizza for reaching goals, cookouts and other food events, some fun events and holiday parties. Can choose between hour-long and half-hour long lunch breaks. Vacation and sick time accrues after 90 days.

Cons

It's retail. Crazy unpredictable hours, all the annoyances and perils of face-to-face customer service. Difficult to get full-time, impossible to get a set schedule. It's a working warehouse so it's frequently dry, dusty, dirty, and very noisy. Possibility of exposure to hazardous chemicals and safety risks, though you do get training on how to deal with them. Concrete floors and you're on your feet all day.

Advice to Management

Make sure when you change things that it's an actual practical change that lower level employees agree with. Some changes are just stupid and make our jobs harder.

Feb 25, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs. We will share this information with others. Keep up the great... More

"Spend a little less money on upper management and a little more on the employees"

Current Employee - Appliance Specialist in Aiken, SC
    Current Employee - Appliance Specialist in Aiken, SC

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's very hard to get fired. You have plenty of opportunities to fail without repercussion. Most of the time you're left alone by the management team (Unless a micromanager follows you around.) Overall, not a bad company.

Cons

Nothing to do with the company. Customers make very bad people, and rarely you'll find a manager that would prefer to cover his own hide than to help an associate. Funnily enough, Home Depot employs quite a few managers that have some sad sense of superiority.

Advice to Management

Spend a little less money on yourself and spend a little more on the people that earn you that money. A store manager may know the numbers behind the scene but as soon as he walks on the floor he is in need of constant guidance from his replaceable sales associate.

Feb 25, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and... More