The Home Depot - They hired me when I really needed a job, and for that I am very grateful. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

"They hired me when I really needed a job, and for that I am very grateful."

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers and great customers. Flexible schedules, good benefits and perks, even for part-timers. Better than average starting pay.

Cons

Terrible recruiting and hiring process; disorganized and off-point training; no attempt to develop and promote associates; pay increases not determined by individual performance. In-store management lacks respect for front line associates; management by intimidation. Doesn't hire full-time employees, and very few part-timers are given the option to become full-time. To avoid health insurance expenses,they cut part-time hours to no more than 29/wk; and in the off season schedule as low as 7hrs/wk.

Advice to Management

Stop stepping on your own tail. At HD, associates are not fungible. They need a body of knowledge because customers expect expert advice and service. Part-timers can learn from experts and become very helpful, but not if there is no experienced person there to teach them. And not if you don't give them enough hours with full-timers to learn the department. Pay attention to your work force and your stock price will take care of itself.

The Home Depot Response

Feb 19, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback. At The Home Depot, we strive to provide an environment where associates feel they’re valued, treated fairly, and respected. Taking care of our people is one of our core ... More

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

1. "It's what you make of it"

Current Employee - Millwork Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Millwork Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interacting with the consumers is going to be fulfilling or a pain in the .... but it's up to you. Great if you enjoy home improvement, you can learn a lot from the customers too. THD will greatly support advancement but not just because you ask, you have to work hard and earn it.

Cons

Retail hours with no logic to schedule.

Advice to Management

General weekly or monthly rotation of shifts so some planning could be done by employees. Very difficult to volunteer anywhere with no rhyme or reason to the schedule.

"Home Depot"

Current Employee - Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours are good and it's a temporary position with benefits until I can find work in my field.

Cons

The pay is not good, cannot support a family on this income.

The Home Depot Response