The Home Depot - OPPORTUNITIES BUT BEWARE | Glassdoor

"OPPORTUNITIES BUT BEWARE"

Current Employee - Management in Saint Louis, MO
Current Employee - Management in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Just starting out as an associate is a great opportunity and if you show aggressiveness toward customer service and you show that you want to learn you will be recognized and have an opportunity to grow and advance. Make sure you are doing what is expected of you and communicate with your manager. If you meet or beat your sales plan there are very nice incentives like a cash bonus for all associates not just management.

Cons

Too quick to write people up if they miss even minor duties. In stead of having a discussion and determining the reasons, some managers are too eager to write up associates and penalize them. Too much intimidation. Some managers feel like they are walking on egg shells. Company culture was never that harsh. Yearly salary increases very low maybe 2%. But, some of this negativity is dependent upon the store you are in. It depends upon the philosophy dictated by the individual store manager what they are push and expecting. Some are more understanding. Some on the other hand try to impress the district manager instead of doing what is truly the right thing.

Advice to Management

Stop being so anxious to penalize people for simple things but instead be willing to teach and coach. The company culture has changed since the original founders retired.

Mar 19, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. In the same way that The Home Depot’s products help people build homes and projects, the eight core values we uphold help us build a strong business and culture. Our nearly ... More

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

1. "Decent Job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vinings, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vinings, GA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Pleasant Co-workers, OK benefits

Cons

Can be a bit boring at times. Daily routine gets repetitive.

Advice to Management

Find better ways to reward your employees.

Apr 30, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. Retail associates are the face of The Home Depot for the thousands of customers who walk through our doors each day.

2. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for entry level 10-12/hr

Cons

I have nothing to complain about. You get out what you put in

Apr 14, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your employment with The Home Depot. Taking care of our associates is one of our core values. We continually look for ways to ensure that ... More