The Home Depot - OPPORTUNITIES BUT BEWARE | Glassdoor

"OPPORTUNITIES BUT BEWARE"

Current Employee - Management in Saint Louis, MO
Current Employee - Management in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Just starting out as an associate is a great opportunity and if you show aggressiveness toward customer service and you show that you want to learn you will be recognized and have an opportunity to grow and advance. Make sure you are doing what is expected of you and communicate with your manager. If you meet or beat your sales plan there are very nice incentives like a cash bonus for all associates not just management.

Cons

Too quick to write people up if they miss even minor duties. In stead of having a discussion and determining the reasons, some managers are too eager to write up associates and penalize them. Too much intimidation. Some managers feel like they are walking on egg shells. Company culture was never that harsh. Yearly salary increases very low maybe 2%. But, some of this negativity is dependent upon the store you are in. It depends upon the philosophy dictated by the individual store manager what they are push and expecting. Some are more understanding. Some on the other hand try to impress the district manager instead of doing what is truly the right thing.

Advice to Management

Stop being so anxious to penalize people for simple things but instead be willing to teach and coach. The company culture has changed since the original founders retired.

Mar 19, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. In the same way that The Home Depot’s products help people build homes and projects, the eight core values we uphold help us build a strong business and culture. Our nearly... More

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

"don't work here unless you're desperate"

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Nanuet, NY
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Nanuet, NY

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

some room for growth, if you don't mind double the workload for a dollar more an hour.

Cons

the pay increases are insulting

Advice to Management

pay decent wages.

May 16, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback. At The Home Depot, we strive to provide an environment where associates feel they’re valued, treated fairly, and respected. Taking care of our people is one of our core... More

"A Once Great Company Going Downhill"

Former Employee - Head Cashier in Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many more benefits than most US retailers offer including health (for full and part time), 401K, stock plan and profit sharing and the chance to become very close to many of your co-workers.

Cons

Poor promotion practices (depending on the district manager), many attractive benefits are being phased out such as being hired for full time, decent health insurance companies, and there is no longer a longevity bonus. Also, it IS retail, so you should be expected to be treated like crap at least by the customers on a daily basis, and ridiculous policies that make no sense handed down by people in an office that have either never worked in customer service or don't remember it.

Advice to Management

Bring back the ideals put forth by your founders "Take care of your employees, they'll take care of your customers and the rest takes care of itself." and revise the promotion process. Some of the wrong people are being moved up the ladder quickly, while others that are more deserving and more valuable are being unfairly held back or even fired (and no I am NOT talking about myself!)

Apr 25, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to business at The Home Depot is our commitment to not only customer service, but to our associates. Because taking... More