The Home Depot - Good for retail | Glassdoor

"Good for retail"

Current Employee - Cos in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Cos in Austin, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some benefits, positive influence on local community, monday-friday for my position as Customer Order Specialist, rewards, opportunity to move up readily available if you want to put in the effort and terrible schedule.

Cons

Worked here 6.5 years, was regularly commemorated for achievements and asked to be a supervisor, but they REFUSE to pay competitively. I eventually had no choice but to take another job offer (I gave them the opportunity to meet the offer of $15/hr, but they "couldnt"). Also, management will constantly micromanage all the way up the chain of command, so you constantly have "big wigs" visiting the store and changing procedures and processes and differdnt supervisors telling you different things constantly. Finally, and this is the WORST, favoritism and fear of offending homosexual employees. I promise you, I have nothing against anyone for their life choices; I literally couldn't care less if your straight, gay, married to your cousin or into beastiality. That being said, I get infuriated with companies that refuse to address issues like harassment, or to allow rules like attendance or dress code to be broken by someone simply because of their sexual orientation. Home Depot is horrible at this and it is viewed as favoritism by the other associates and is horrible for morale.

Advice to Management

Truly play into the open door policy. Listen to your associates & stand up for them. It used to be this way, but HD has lost sight of it. As for the big guys in Atlanta, you may want to rethink the criteria for new hires. Just because they'll work for $7.50/hr doesn't mean they're the best choice... we tell customers all the time, "you get what you pay for", shouldn't you remember that too? I was an AWESOME associate and would've stayed on for 20+ years if you had just paid competitively.

Apr 14, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are... More

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

"Eye opener about the way some businesses are run"

Current Employee - Bilingual Sales Associate in Homewood, IL
    Current Employee - Bilingual Sales Associate in Homewood, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Once you get to your first year working there, you qualify for 20 hrs paid vacation, and from the 2nd year onward you get 40 hrs. Requests off can be made up to 3 months in advance, which is great for plans without having to wait till the week before to remember to mention it to the scheduler. There's a lot of customer-employee relationships, and a whole spectrum of people that come in for various projects. Even though I work in Lumber, I've had the pleasure of learning about and working in other departments too, so there's flexibility rather than being tied down to one department all day.

Cons

They advertised in orientation that there's plenty of opportunities to grow within the company, but after nearly 3 years working there, I have found that to be untrue unless you're willing to transfer to other stores. There is a major lack of oversight when it comes to department supervisors...ever since moving back into the lumber department from cashiering, my supervisor disappears for hours at a time claiming to be in a meeting, only to find him surfing the net in the training room, or spending time on the phone in the break room. When we do need help, they do not answer their phones or respond to pages on the overhead system and thus is incredibly frustrating.

There have been many times where this lack of communication and cooperation have caused me to consider resigning, despite my numerous discussions with management about the situation. Also, there are many associates who would like to become full-time, but instead The Home Depot insists on hiring outside the company for full-timers, and many of them are brand new to working in retail or working in general which doesn't make sense to me. While I understand the importance of creating more jobs, once these people are hired on, they cannot pick up the skills that only come from working there for a lot longer. As a result, time and time again we feel like we're not appreciated, and overworked. Because of the lack of good management in lumber, there has been a high turnover rate, not to mention the turnover rate for lot associates.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more enforcement of guidelines for qualifying to become a department supervisor. Being friends with the store manager and brown nosing should NOT be attributes that are allowed to slip through the fence. Thus, management needs to be more stringent on their DS's following SOP. How can we be expected to work in coexistence with our colleagues when there seems to be a group of associates who can do the bare minimum thing or do barely anything at all, and get away with it. Additionally, if other positions become available, management needs to be certain that those positions are legitimately available for associates. In recent months I was interviewed for a DS position in the paint department, and after a week or so, was told that because they rolled out the new freight program, the other supervisors had to be "rearranged" and the paint DS job was no longer an option. Why was this not a consideration before they posted the job opportunity.

Apr 16, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and... More

2. "Current Department Supervisor on the road to success."

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Tustin, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you have are self driven, have a positive attitude and can provide great customer service you will go far.
    My advice to grow within the company is to seek out a salaried manager as a mentor. You have to figure out how to climb the ladder on your own, having a mentor is like having a personal trainer. They will groom you and get you ready for the race but in the end it's up to you to run. There are not many companies anymore with this mentality. Most companies hire management from the outside. This gives an advantage to those of us without 4 year degrees. Most of the management and district level managers have worked their way up through the ranks. You have to love working for Home Depot to succeed. All of the management I have met absolutely love their job!

You also need to be proactive at THD, nobody is going to babysit you. If you aren't motivated to work or are just looking for easy money you shouldn't apply as you probably won't make it past your 90 day probationary period. You are expected to work at Home Depot, not be lazy. Did you know you can take almost any training class you want? You can learn to operate equipment, become a backup cashier and cross train into a different department. Just ask!

The pay is average for retail. Working in retail is a different animal. Hours are odd and unpredictable but that is the nature of the business. The crazy hours can be good because they are flexible. For instance, I can request a Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday off (4 days in a row) and not use any vacation. They are willing to work with you on your availability.

Home Depot is a great place for women to work and they even offer a Women in Leadership program to supervisors and above.

If you drink the orange kool-aid you can go far.

Cons

I love my job! I have no complaints. Although a pay increase would always be welcome. I will see you at the top!

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing!

Apr 2, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you are having a positive experience in your 2nd year at The Home Depot. Your optimistic attitude is celebrated and refreshing... More