The Home Depot - not a good experience | Glassdoor

"not a good experience"

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Parkville, MD
Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Parkville, MD

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

it is very laid back..all of the coworkers care about you,most of everyone is friendly...good benefits even for part timers.

Cons

the management team does not know how to talk to people,,there attendance policy sucks..if you are 10 mins late you migas well call out bee it counts for the same if you are absent.

The Home Depot Response

May 16, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs. Keep up the great work taking care of our customers.

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

1. "The Culture: A Machine - an outdated, ineffective leadership model"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule requests via online. Interesting & fast paced. A great place for people interaction. Fellow employees can be fun (when not looking over their shoulder). Inventory technology operates pretty well. Employees have a $50 latitude to assist and satisfy the customer with their purchases, which is fairly progressive in the retail world.

Cons

The culture is customer first, however, the employees are just part of the machinery. There are lots of theoretical company platitudes and programs toward caring for the employees, which become the butt of many jokes because these are not effectively practiced. Not really. Training is really lazy, and relies almost exclusively on technology (web based training). The interaction between front-line people and management (including dept. heads) is very minimal, unless something is being done wrong. Real coaching and mentoring is nonexistent in practice, although we are supposed to have such a program for new hires - no one has experienced this that I've talked to. New hires watch a ton of videos (aka "fire hose training") and then are thrown unto the floor to sink or swim. The one thing that is reinforced, ad nauseam, is how the customer is king no matter what. But as another post mentioned, the employees are 3rd class citizens (after the customer & management). According to my observations & myriad conversations: TRUE.

Lastly, a little above minimum wage is pretty pitiful for all that this job entails. Most feel this is only done because the company can get by with it in this current job market. There is an incentive system, but for actual line people this might add about 25-50 cents per hour.

Advice to Management

Being a leadership expert, the culture at THD has been quite fascinating to watch and experience! THD does quite well with managing things, but is very poor at leading people. They try to manage their employees like they manage the product. People generally stay because they have to, not because of any empowerment or internal motivation (other than maybe necessity due to health insurance, etc.). There is really no specific advice to give to fix this, because culture is not something so easily address.

One post said that if THD really wants to be the top retailer in customer service scores, it will have to emulate top scoring companies like Nordstrom. I think this is spot on. Nordstrom people rate their leadership quite high. (Conversely, our store's employees rate things like "feeling valued" and "trusting management" well under 50%!!) Nordstrom employees I've talked to said they work quite hard, but because they are well lead, they are very motivated to delight the customer. THD still follows a very old school approach of the external stick & carrot (more of the former than the latter), but this does little to engage people's internal motivation. Sorry Marvin, but without a complete overhaul of both leadership theory and practice, I cannot see this culture ever meeting the goal of being a top ACSI retailer. Really want to get there? Drastically overhaul this culture!!

[BTW: The Inverted Pyramid (IP) model should not have the customer on the top. The IP is a model of the organization's approach and control. While "Customer First" sounds nice, customers are outside of organizational control. So that really makes the front-line employees the top of the IP model, not the customers. And the definition of front line employees should not include management; just those people who spend 95% of their time directly engaged with the customers. By making this adjustment in practice (not just lip service & weak stop gap incentive programs), the employees will realize you are really there for them. This is when customer service scores drastically go up beyond the current plateau, and will also curb that huge employee turnover number.]

2. "great"

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

great overnight crew with paula

Cons

management not good always changing

The Home Depot Response

Apr 30, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We appreciate your hard work and wish you were happier with your current management. Please call 1.866.698.4347 and select the option for the ... More