The Home Depot - Not good for IT folks | Glassdoor

"Not good for IT folks"

Former Employee - Lead IT Developer in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Lead IT Developer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cant think of too many things, working in some IT departments seem to be ok

Cons

Hard to move up the company, Management do not do anything other than telling you to work at the next level and do not provide any help. Most of them just want to keep their job they have been holding their forever without any technical ability. Good if you can please your boss.

Advice to Management

Senior Managers who have been in the company forever needs to be shown the door

Jun 18, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and ... More

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

1. "So far so good"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Good work environment
    -friendly co-workers
    -plenty of opportunities to learn valuable skills (flooring, electrical, paint, etc)
    -all kinds of shifts available
    -good benefits

Cons

-new hires cannot call out (even if very ill) within the first 120 days. I was very ill and had to call out (around my 90 day mark) and they told me that is automatically a final warning which means if I am absent again or late I will be let go.
    -loss of weekends. Not super important to some people but for others it's a deal breaker. They require you to work weekends (at least one day).
    -lack of organization with freight and overhead storage--it is hard to find merchandise in the overhead storage because once it is put up there, that's it. no tracking, no comprehensive list, nothing.

Advice to Management

Better organization for the overheads. It is a huge time waste and as a result costs the company money (angry customers, and loss of time that could be spent selling) because if we have something in stock but it's not on the shelf, about 70% of the time we have to walk with our heads toward the ceiling, looking around the entire store.

Jun 6, 2014 – Client Partner

"poor place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your able to wear jeans to work.

Cons

Only Part time employment Except when they Need you to work. When you ask for more hours they inform you that 24 hours is all you will get then they spread that time out all week so you can not get a second job to support yourself.

Advice to Management

Give your employees the hours they need to survive if not give them the chance to live a comfortable life.

Jun 24, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Please call 1.866.698.4347 and select the option for the Associate Advice Council Group (AACG) to express your concerns.