The Home Depot - Excellent opportunities for advancement, strong values, commitment to associates. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

"Excellent opportunities for advancement, strong values, commitment to associates."

Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Austin, TX

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Home Depot really cares about it's employees and gives ample room for growth if you're driven. It's a company that really cares about promoting it's own people rather than hiring from outside and that's something I always focused on. In the three years I worked there I had 4 positions and two of them were moves up instead of lateral moves into other departments and was being fast tracked into a management program before I left the company to teach (I worked there throughout college).

Like many big retailers it all comes down to individual management teams and how they implement the company policies, but I found that the policies are good and when you have good management who implement them correctly instead of mistreating them it creates a wonderful work environment.

Pay was also great. Even when hiring pay rates decreased when the company was experiencing problems due to the recession they were still starting entry level workers at more than a dollar over minimum wage. They also were quick to remedy the low rates with raises and bonuses as soon as they were able.

Cons

Time off procedures could use a drastic overhaul. The company has been trying to give people more paid time off but don't expect any sizable vacation/paid leave if you haven't been in the company for at least 20 years.

If you've got a bad manager then it's going to suck. The company gives plenty of room for you to be a wonderful manager/management team, and the policies support it. However there are some managers who take complete advantage of the system and can easily ruin the work environment and make you feel unappreciated. There is also not a good checks and balances system in place for these kind of managers.

Jul 3, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and ... More

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

1. "Great place to work over all"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

hours are great manager is wonderful

Cons

a lot of training to get in the door but total worth it after that is over with.

Advice to Management

hire more full time employee's

Jul 8, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. Keep up the great work!

2. "Good Company"

Former Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Home Depot as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, Communication, work atmosphere, lots of learning,

Cons

Not much room for growth, pay

Advice to Management

Be more involved

Jul 3, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your internship with The Home Depot. We appreciate all of your hard work.