The Home Depot - Interesting job but issues with other associates | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

"Interesting job but issues with other associates"

Current Employee - Bay Integrity Associate
Current Employee - Bay Integrity Associate

Pros

My position as BIA is a rather new position, as they were phasing out the old full-time IMS (Inventory Management Associates) and replacing them with the part-time BIA.

Anyways, I really like my job. I basically maintain price tags and make sure bays are sequenced correctly and such. The hours are early (4 am-9:30 am), but I'm a morning person so it's fine. I'm rather detailed-oriented so making sure prices are correct and that product is in the right spot is nice.

Cons

My biggest issue is with the MET team. They do all of the bay resets and merchandising and such, and we always clash. The BIAs have these mobile carts where the price tags print from, and on them we have our supplies, like tape, scissors, wobblers, etc. The MET team members, when they need any of these supplies, instead of going to the supply closet or the sign bay, they just take stuff from our carts without asking. It got so bad I had to put my supplies in my locker when I'm not working.

They also sometimes don't sequence the bays after they've reset them, or they do but don't change the tags. I understand that they have a limited window to do their work, but not sequencing the bays at the very least makes my job harder. And I've talked to them as well as my managers, but nothing has been done. Now it's so bad that I always dread the day of the week when they come in.

Some of the department heads make my job tough as well. In one department, the head always closes packdowns I open without putting the product on the shelf. They also have this attitude that they're better than me since I'm new.

I also hate that there's no room for advancement. The only way for me to get full-time status is to move from this position to another one, now that they changed things around.

Advice to Management

Make the BIA position full-time again so we can actually get stuff done, and make sure the MET team actually does their job.

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

1. "Very hard work which is " hit and miss " when it comes to being rewarded"

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

Pros

Good benefits
    Fast pace
    Good people
    Learning possibilities which You can apply to Your personal home improvement

Cons

Too much to do with a very little help
    Attendance policies keep on changing and go from one extreme to the other - You can not call in without the doctor's note even if You have sick time or You WILL BE REPRIMANDED.
    Lack of Senior Management support in some cases, although there are some outstanding leaders

Advice to Management

Give more coverage!!! You make enough money, You can afford it, You cant "slave drive" good workers forever. At some point You will be losing very valuable associates.

"The Home Services Division of HD Lacks Leadership and Vision ..Beware"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

Pros

If you’re a self starter the job is a dream - VERY little daily management oversight over consultant’s activities. Haven’t seen my sales manager in weeks…haven’t spoken to them in a month.

Customers really appreciate the at home shopping experience from a company they seem to trust.

The advantage of representing a big box brand.

Sales jobs are commission based without an upper end wage cap. If you can close a deal you can make a decent living. If you can't close sales, you can't work here long term - it's just that simple.

Cons

There isn’t any direct marketing support for the division….the marketing is all by word of mouth.

All commission based employees – the sales consultants – are the company’s only marketing source. Store personnel are allow to mention the install programs but there isn’t a compliance demand to cooperate and assist in the marketing concept.

The company demands that sales consultants be available from 8 am to 8 pm seven days a week. When a sales consultant isn’t sitting across the customers kitchen table making a sale, they are expected work inside a local HD store providing the exact same level of customer service (for free) that hourly store employees are paid to do. The purpose is to help the customer find what they need to complete their project. Then and only then we tell the customer that we sell installed products and ask for an appointment to consultant with them at their home. If they say yes the consultant may earn a commission. If they say no, the consultant works customer service for free. (This is not a rant..just the facts.)

Seems to be diversity issues in the hiring process. There are 3 women and one black man in my Branch of more than 50 sales consultants. In fact , most of the sales consultants in my branch are older white men

Advice to Management

We lose MILLIONS of dollars in sale every day because the in-home sales consultants cannot sell or install the same products customers see inside the store. I lose numerous sales every week because of the limited brand availability to the in-home division.

Our customers simply don’t understand and frankly they don’t care that we operate as a store division and a separate home service division. When I knock on the door wearing the orange apron I am the face of Home Depot.

The company should allow the in-home sales team to sell and install the product brands customers see inside the stores. It should be a corporate crime to walk away from a sale because the home service diivision is not allowed to install a specific brand the customer saw inside our store. It's a problem of epic proportion.

Please re-think the decision to block out all in-home appointments on Saturday mornings. Please allow the in-home sales team to meet with customers on Saturday mornings again.