The Home Depot - Interesting job but issues with other associates | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

"Interesting job but issues with other associates"

Current Employee - Bay Integrity Associate
Current Employee - Bay Integrity Associate

Pros

My position as BIA is a rather new position, as they were phasing out the old full-time IMS (Inventory Management Associates) and replacing them with the part-time BIA.

Anyways, I really like my job. I basically maintain price tags and make sure bays are sequenced correctly and such. The hours are early (4 am-9:30 am), but I'm a morning person so it's fine. I'm rather detailed-oriented so making sure prices are correct and that product is in the right spot is nice.

Cons

My biggest issue is with the MET team. They do all of the bay resets and merchandising and such, and we always clash. The BIAs have these mobile carts where the price tags print from, and on them we have our supplies, like tape, scissors, wobblers, etc. The MET team members, when they need any of these supplies, instead of going to the supply closet or the sign bay, they just take stuff from our carts without asking. It got so bad I had to put my supplies in my locker when I'm not working.

They also sometimes don't sequence the bays after they've reset them, or they do but don't change the tags. I understand that they have a limited window to do their work, but not sequencing the bays at the very least makes my job harder. And I've talked to them as well as my managers, but nothing has been done. Now it's so bad that I always dread the day of the week when they come in.

Some of the department heads make my job tough as well. In one department, the head always closes packdowns I open without putting the product on the shelf. They also have this attitude that they're better than me since I'm new.

I also hate that there's no room for advancement. The only way for me to get full-time status is to move from this position to another one, now that they changed things around.

Advice to Management

Make the BIA position full-time again so we can actually get stuff done, and make sure the MET team actually does their job.

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

1. "Very hard work which is " hit and miss " when it comes to being rewarded"

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

Pros

Good benefits
    Fast pace
    Good people
    Learning possibilities which You can apply to Your personal home improvement

Cons

Too much to do with a very little help
    Attendance policies keep on changing and go from one extreme to the other - You can not call in without the doctor's note even if You have sick time or You WILL BE REPRIMANDED.
    Lack of Senior Management support in some cases, although there are some outstanding leaders

Advice to Management

Give more coverage!!! You make enough money, You can afford it, You cant "slave drive" good workers forever. At some point You will be losing very valuable associates.

"A Masters Degree in the world of retail"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

The company was founded on 8 core values that they maintain to this day. Further, there is really no limit to the opportunities that are available. You don't have to say "look at me boss", hard work, reliability, a global view, and the knowledge that the customer has to be # 1 will get you noticed and provide the engine for forward movement.
    The Home Depot definitely provides a huge support mechanism for the associates and the community. In fact, just the Homer Fund alone gives millions of dollars to associates in need.
    The financial rewards are very good, obviously more so for the salaried but there are plenty of rewards available to the hourly's as well. Store Mgr salaries start with a base in the mid $70's and with bonus potential in any year of another $10 - $60K more.

Cons

The demand for "flawless execution" is stronger than ever and contributes to the pressure. The company is so large that it is necessary that all components operate in unison, therefore it is critical that all members of the team drive the common goal. That means that higher performance is rewarded, and mediocrity is a trait that can make many uncomfortable and even result in dicipline.
    Long hours are a drawback - regularly 60 - 70. HR's were removed from the stores & while in many cases they were a roadblock to action, they fill a vital spot for associate needs. With them gone the managers might spend hours on any one situation, and when you have 120 associates at any given time there are many personal, disciplinary, & interactive issues that can keep the managers from driving some other parts of the business.

Advice to Management

Bring back some kind of HR or Admin presence in the store.
    Eliminate calibration - drive consistancy in discipline and reward throughout instead.