The Jones Group - Positive and Rewarding | Glassdoor

"Positive and Rewarding"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

I worked at The Jones Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good environment, company believes in their people, charitable organization, well know brand names, gym facilities, helpful co-workers, early Fridays all year long.

Cons

Personal commute was very tiring but expected in the Greater New York area. Telecommuting allowed in emergency situations or if weather related but otherwise not encouraged.

Advice to Management

The layoff of 18% of the workforce was unexpected, but handled well. I think more warning signs could have been given. There was a lot of shock when it happened and not much explanation given, other than Retail Sales were bad.

Other Employee Reviews for The Jones Group

1. "Had fun working for this company"

Current Employee - Part Time Supervisor in Lakeside, CA
    Current Employee - Part Time Supervisor in Lakeside, CA

I have been working at The Jones Group part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Always fully staffed
     Made friends for life. Great Product and discount. My own office

Cons

Upper Management. Got thrown under the buss a lot and DM would take my ideas and say they were her own!

Advice to Management

DM and REgionals should take a leadership class

"the seedy underbelly of retail"

Former Employee - Key Holder/Senior Sales Associate in Riverhead, NY
    Former Employee - Key Holder/Senior Sales Associate in Riverhead, NY

I worked at The Jones Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

When you have autonomy it's a pretty fun place. The customers are the best part of the job - and when somebody in retail sales makes a statement like that, you know it all goes downhill from there.

Cons

Zero advancement opportunity. They throw the idea of tenure out of the window in favor of nepotism, favoritism, cronyism, and hostility toward their workers. They are antisocial in regard to worker rights and they actively promote one-sided discrimination of their front line workers. They are only concerned with accountability in so much that they want somebody to place the blame onto. Every office chair in that company is behind a revolving door, from the District Store Manager all the way on up to the C-level executives - who merely use the company as padding for their resume while enacting destructive policy changes and vitriolic cultural ideas.

Strict adherence to the policy of KPI's (Key Productive Indicators) goes a long way toward ensuring profitability, but at the expense of some of the company's best humanistic resources.

Advice to Management

Learn what is going on in your stores at the ground level. That sounds like a loaded statement, but the corporate structure is completely blind to the individual stores' (I worked in the outlet division) atmosphere.

The biggest problem I've seen is not even something that I've been affected by personally, but I've been able to identify the way in which is affects the entire job environment at the store level. The DSM's are concerned about job security (I've had five DSM's in just as many years), and that makes them act in an anti-social fashion toward each other and their own workers, which creates a destructive atmosphere.