The MENTOR Network - Direct Support Professional | Glassdoor

"Direct Support Professional"

Current Employee - Direct Service Professional in Saint Paul, MN
Current Employee - Direct Service Professional in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The MENTOR Network has good core values and mission statement. A DSP position allows flexibility with hours for students or part-time employees. Competitive pay and benefits to other organizations in the area. Good opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Hours flex based on needs of the home; sometimes hours get cut due to consumers being absent - enough to the point it can become a hardship. Poor communication causes errors in delivery of services that gets blamed on a DSP more often than not.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation for the individuals who do the majority of one-on-one care giving. Improve lines of communication within the organization to prevent errors in service delivery.

Other Employee Reviews for The MENTOR Network

"Inhumane working conditions."

Former Employee - Direct Service Professional in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Direct Service Professional in Greensboro, NC

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with families is the main rewarding experience.

Cons

DSP's make money for this company so comments from those who feed off their work will be positive
     DSP's are required 42 contacts with clients a month each contact must last minimum 2hrs that is 84hrs a month. Add driving time of at least 2 hrs total to each contact i.e from contact to your office, home or next contact that's 42 hrs x 2hrs so add another 84 hrs=168hours a
    month.
     Every week you have dreadful team meetings approx 6 hrs per week x 4 (i.e 4 times in a month) =24 hrs + 168hrs = 192hrs a month. Then you have trainings at least 2 per month for approx 3hrs each add another 6 hrs= 198hrs. Add 10 hours per week x 4 = 40hrs a month for administrative tasks, submitting paper work for billing, preparing for "team meetings" calling team mates, families and collateral's, preparing for client sessions - 198 + 40 = 238.
     Add minimum 8 hrs driving time to team meetings and trainings per month =246 hours per month. You will have 4hrs of supervision meetings at office with director per month add 2 hrs driving time to that = plus 6 hrs = 252hrs a month.
    When you are not doing the above there will always be something else the work never ends until the day you quit. The pay will not be worth the hassle, if you do the math you are a graduate on minimum wage. This is why there is a high high turnover.
    Team meetings can be frustrating DSP's indirectly pitched against each other by program directors to compete, criticize, intimidate, humiliate each other all in the name of "team building"
    There is a lot of pressure on DSP's if families cancel and you can't make the contacts. If you have to take a vacation you still have to make your 42 hrs before you leave so you are exhausted during and after your vacation. If the company does not have enough client's and you can't make 42 contacts you are made to feel guilty and accept responsibility so you add sales job to your job and start calling for contacts. You must report to management what you are doing with your time when you can't make your contacts. You are told to justify how your salary will be paid for that time. Very depressing.
     Your team mates are brainwashed to challenge your integrity and ability during the team meetings on why you did not make your contacts or your professional knowledge and application of your training from grad school during sessions with families.
    Glad to use my training in psychology to quit before I became brainwashed and programmed.

Advice to Management

No advice to management because they are programmed to work the way they do. Moreover what they are doing which is not working for DSP's is working for them. People will always fill your spot when they leave so management has no problem with the high turn over.

"Be happy. It's in your hands. Mentor gives you the capability to do anything and be anything. misery loves company."

Current Employee - Everyone in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - Everyone in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at The MENTOR Network (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pros: I have never laughed so hard and worked so hard at the same time. I have met some great people. I enjoy myself at work when we are able to laugh without fear of being asked not to laugh so loud. If all employees focused on making it better rather than sitting in misery, they too would enjoy their life.

Cons

Management is stretched too thin and cannot focus on corporate standards, jersey standards, and putting fires out. Con: lazy employees who receive a pay check and get on boards like these to say how hard their troubles are. Maybe if everyone learned that others around them are running at light speed, they could get up and help. Or just blogggg away

Advice to Management

For NJ- ED not to show pressure and to take it out on the persons that have held her up all these years. Changes are good and bad, but look has been our glue, that's why our glue is beat.. Management could commnicate more, like the recent staff mtg held. we need more. That was the first meeting. You are running too fast and need to trust a little more without passing judgements in the hallway in front of everyone. If it were up to me, I would make some changes now. people can only do but so much. chill out! also, take the receptionist's phone out of her hand and stop hiring family members. Everyone knows everyone is related. This should stop. I have full confidence in our management, just need to resolve the battles in the office. everyone still has a box under their desk. While we love mentor, we have ideas that will never come to day because we are told our opinions by you. Is that really open door. I support you all. Just stop gossipping. Its bad for the office.