The MENTOR Network - Long time employee. I only stay because of my personal commitment to the mission and my team | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The MENTOR Network

"Long time employee. I only stay because of my personal commitment to the mission and my team"

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My immediate supervisor and team and many people who provide care in our programs. I have some flexibility in my schedule which helps

Cons

Too many to list. A very top down management style with highly compensated executives who have never worked in the field but apparently have much more value than those who have spent their career in this field. No sense of team or leadership from executive staff

Advice to Management

Pay attention t o the priority of caring for vulnerable children and adults by fully staffing programs with qualified middle management. Under stand that corporate support services such as it and marketing are just that, support services and little to now impact on the day to day care of the individuals in our care and they should not be given a higher value than those who work in operations Be aware of "managing up" because you are not getting the real story about what is going on in the field.

Other Employee Reviews for The MENTOR Network

"Work here if you enjoy being underpaid, under-appreciated, and overworked."

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Will promote talent and experience...but only to supervisory positions. If you want to get into management, good luck.

Cons

Terrible pay. No performance raises. Pitiful and inconsistent cost of living raises. All responsibility thrust on ground-level supervisors with VERY little accountability for direct care workers or managers. Very disorganized company. Poor training regimen and questionable business practices. Soul-draining social work.

Advice to Management

Institute a supervision system using positive and negative feedback and an open atmosphere that allows employees to feel that they can fail, admit their failure, and learn from it. (If you aren't going to pay a decent wage, you could at least leave employees stronger for having worked for your company.) Increase wages, especially for low-level supervisors. I enjoyed working for your company more when I was working in direct care with practically zero possibility of getting negative feedback or disciplinary action, even considering the PATHETIC wage. Also, if the only raises you are going to give are cost of living, please adjust this to give supervisors at least as much of a jump as direct care workers: it is incredibly demoralizing to work your ass off and then realize that your irresponsible, 20-something direct care workers are getting the same quarter per hour jump that you are. Also, your benefits are a joke, especially your health insurance.

"Very disorganized and difficult place to work"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The clients are great and coworkers are a lot of fun

Cons

Extremely difficult to get the company to meet its obligations. Expect to spend most of your time figuring out how to be compliant working around their policies.

Advice to Management

Stop investing so much personally into your ideas to fix things. Test the solution and see if it works. Don't demand that your underlings make it work if it isn't. Also stop talking about excellence, if it were true you wouldn't have to say it constantly.