The MENTOR Network - Long time employee. I only stay because of my personal commitment to the mission and my team | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The MENTOR Network

"Long time employee. I only stay because of my personal commitment to the mission and my team"

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My immediate supervisor and team and many people who provide care in our programs. I have some flexibility in my schedule which helps

Cons

Too many to list. A very top down management style with highly compensated executives who have never worked in the field but apparently have much more value than those who have spent their career in this field. No sense of team or leadership from executive staff

Advice to Management

Pay attention t o the priority of caring for vulnerable children and adults by fully staffing programs with qualified middle management. Under stand that corporate support services such as it and marketing are just that, support services and little to now impact on the day to day care of the individuals in our care and they should not be given a higher value than those who work in operations Be aware of "managing up" because you are not getting the real story about what is going on in the field.

Other Employee Reviews for The MENTOR Network

"The sky never stops falling at NC Mentor"

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meaningful work with children and families. Supportive peers. Reimbursement for supervision for provisionally licensed therapists, as well as yearly stipend to use toward continuing education.

Cons

Very fear-based management style (use of threats, punitive action, describing the tenuous state of the company's finances, random lay-offs and forcing people to quit to deny them severance, etc). The agency values profit $$$ and quantity over quality therapy, and will even push therapists to bill more than is medically necessary for their clients, or to bill for things that are completely non-billable. Incredibly stressful work environment and no support for on-the-ground, front-line workers. Many people leaving the agency left with stress-related medical problems. No useful training or support with learning the basic functions of the job; new people often had to "train each other" resulting in much wasted time and energy as well as tons of preventable mistakes. Promised raises for 9 months which never appeared. Every other week we were told of the financial instability of the agency and given a date that numbers had to be up "or else." Unreasonably high expectations for workers that were constantly changing. No consistency. Very "top-down" management approach. No respect for boundaries of employees; nothing is ever enough for those people. Turnover rate that is ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Using fear as a motivator is very effective in the short-term but ultimately deteriorates trust, respect and loyalty of employees. Set realistic expectations for workers and provide training that supports people past the 2 week "orientation." Listen to and respect the limits of employees. Consider the financial impact of a high turn-over rate, the cost of finding and training new people. Invest in employees and try to reverse this. Treat each employee as important and not as replaceable money-making machines.

"Absolutely Horrible Leadership from the top down!!"

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company mission and people they serve.

Cons

Everything else. I handled Human Resources for two states. After the first 3 months I knew I had to get out of there and immediately started looking for a new job. Made me ashamed to be in Human Resources. The unethical bullying leadership is appalling.

Advice to Management

You need a complete overhaul in leadership. Old school good ole boy leadership that has been around for 40 years is not working anymore. The behind the scenes behavior I witnessed made me ashamed to be a Human Resources professional.