The MENTOR Network - DSP at Mentor Network and can't wait to get out! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The MENTOR Network

"DSP at Mentor Network and can't wait to get out!"

Current Employee - DSP
Current Employee - DSP

I have been working at The MENTOR Network part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clients are awesome; I work at a day program so the hours are nice, and weekends off.

Cons

Way WAY too much work for so little pay; Inconsistent and unreliable management; Zero flexibility with hours or option for more hours (my schedule is only 25 hr/week)

Advice to Management

Treat your DSPs AND CONSUMERS as if you actually value and appreciate them. WE are the ones doing all the hard work with he consumers! I live in a very very HCOL area and am paid less than your average fast food worker! I'm not expecting loads of money for a job that hired me without even interviewing me and has virtually no requirements. But when you expect me to change adult diapers all day and clean up after consumers and wash dishes, mop, and take out trash...all while watching my consumers...it's a bit much. Consumers are the ones that get shafted by putting so much work onto DSPs, and by having such a high turnaround in employees. I cannot engage my consumers when I'm constantly busy with cleaning or watching other people's consumers because we are severely understaffed and running higher ratios than allowed by licensing. Our program okayed a DSP to transfer to another location without hiring her replacement. Sure, why not, it has zero effect on THEM! Meanwhile it's the DSPs who have to pick up the slack. This is a FOR PROFIT company, so why so little pay? Is upper management is getting equally stiffed? I highly doubt it!

Other Employee Reviews for The MENTOR Network

1. "could be so much better"

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

its not a complicated job

Cons

Management does not respect employees

Advice to Management

Be available to employees and be more respectful to employees.

""Better off working somewhere else""

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time

Pros

I enjoy the flexibility that the job allows

Cons

There is a lot.....here I go:
    1). Benefits are the worst that I have ever encountered in my career. They are so bad that I had to get them outside of the agency. Basically this shows that the company is not invested in their employees. They are so cheap to even invest in better cost of health benefits.
    2). No raises to reflect the cost of living.
    3). Mileage reimbursement rate is a joke. It does not reflect the cost of the rise in gas prices.
    4). No growth here.....if you are looking to grow, this is not the place.
    5). It's a numbers game (about quantity and not quality). They want the numbers to go up, but not investing in services to help the challenges with clients.
    6). Staff have been overworked and still is. Management has not addressed this issue in months...it also seems like for years to me.
    7). There is no appreciation not only from management, but also from the foster parents. The foster parents make it appear that you owe them something (not all of them, but half of them make you feel that way). They don't necessarily understand what the workers go through. There are things we have to do due to upper management, but they get mad when you tell them this and the staff does not make the decision. I understand that in the field you won't always feel appreciated, but at the same time, if it's a constant issue that occurs frequently, then it's a major issue.
    8). Regular supervision has been an issue for months.

If you want to deal with these cons that I included in here, then you can work at MENTOR, but I do not highly recommend it. It will save you a whole lot of trouble and hassle at the end by not working at this agency!

Advice to Management

It is important to invest in your employees, so they won't have to feel like the company does not care about their hard work. People have moved on to other opportunities because of the lack of care that the management has for their staff.