The MENTOR Network - rewarding work | Glassdoor

"rewarding work"

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Morgantown, WV
Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very rewarding helping people live their lives. Fairly flexible schedule, most of the time you work in a laid back environment at the persons home and just hang out with the people you care for and help them along. Some compensation for mileage when using your own vehichle.

Cons

some of the people can be quite challenging. not a whole lot of room to advance. pay is not that well.

Other Employee Reviews for The MENTOR Network

1. "INCREDIBLE team of dedicated, committed employees serving inspiring individuals across the country."

Current Employee - Talent Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Talent Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I truly hope to retire from TMN, I love my job and the people I work with. The best part of working here is the mission - to serve, serve well, and serve more - our consumers are inspiring and tie us back every day to why we work here. We have such amazingly loyal and dedicated employees - makes me so proud to say I work here. I've only been here for a year & a half, but I am constantly impressed by how many of our employees have been here 24, 16, 28 years... and on and on, often I am the least-tenured person in a meeting, that doesn't happen in a lot of places.

Cons

Some of our jobs are the "toughest job you'll ever love!" I embrace how rewarding our environment can be, but it can be challenging with the scale of what we do and the limited resources we have.

"Very disorganized and inconsistent company."

Former Employee - Program Director in Mankato, MN
    Former Employee - Program Director in Mankato, MN

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you enjoy working with individuals with disabilities this field is very rewarding. There are always opportunities to advance and to move within the company nation wide as well.

Cons

The bottom line appears to be the most important thing to this company rather than quality training of staff (on all levels- there is NO training guideline for management positions even!) It is difficult to provide quality services with such poor training from the top down. The Mentor Network is just the "parent" company to many other agencies. However Mentor provides guidelines, rules, and forms (oh good lord the ever changing forms) when it is clear the individual creating them has not worked in the field directly to know what realistically occurs day to day. The inconsistencies between Mentor and REM are so large that it seems even upper management can't keep straight whose rules to follow. Of course the company is so large that it does truly depend on what area/region you are working in and how the specific management team handles this awful situation. It is very surprising that more unions have not been created to fight this corporation.

Advice to Management

Focus on training staff and management. Lessen the workloads of management so they are able to provide the service they love to provide rather than be stuck at their desks doing the work of three or four positions.