The Nature Conservancy - Great organization! | Glassdoor

"Great organization!"

Pros

Wonderful mission.
Great people.
Excellent benefits.

Cons

None come to mind at present time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Other Employee Reviews for The Nature Conservancy

1. "Good working environment"

Pros

The Local office has great managers.

Cons

The location is isolated and far from towns.

"Great job but some serious structural problems"

Current Employee - Scientist
    Current Employee - Scientist

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My work is a lot of fun - sometimes I can't believe they pay me to do it.
    A lot of good dedicated people to work with.
    In my case, flexible schedule

Cons

As others have said, avenues for professional development/advancement depend entirely on your manager. Science is the most fun job, but has the least potential for advancement. Ph.D.s are valued and compensated greater than those with greater experience. One of the biggest negatives for employees is that, as you get more years with TNC, you are more likely to get laid off. As the economy cycles, so does TNC, so periodic big layoffs are endemic. In my chapter (state), layoffs are entirely arbitrary. The first to go are those with greater seniority because of their higher salary - I have seen many great workers, with more than 15 years, get laid off - the de facto result is that TNC discriminates against older workers, TNC's mission has changed drastically in the past few years. Where we once were about saving "the last of the best and the best of the rest", we are now about protecting those areas that resonate most with people, rather than those areas with the greatest conservation value.

Advice to Management

There should be some kind of oversight of managers to see that they are considering the professional development of those they supervise. Have some people on the boards of trustees who are not rich white millionaires. More clarity is needed in the new paradigm, "whole systems", approach to conservation -- make it clear (or not) that we still protect small places in great need of conservation, where a "whole systems" might be a few thousand or even a few hundred acres. Recognize that TNC is discriminating against older workers, however unintentionally.