The OutCast Agency - Coven of witches--with one "Supreme". | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for The OutCast Agency

"Coven of witches--with one "Supreme"."

Current Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA
Current Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The OutCast Agency as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

During recruitment and early phase of employment it was a fun place to work and I was treated with respect.

Cons

Mid-level managment snipes at those beneath them. There was one employee--and when she felt threatened or if there was ever a question--even for clarity--you were then targeted by her and she systematically began eroding away not only my confidence--but the confidence that others had in me.

Advice to Management

Carefully monitor the tendencies of the person I am referring to--you know who she is--she is the one that pentultimately is responsible for the termination of the majority of the employees that come and go in this revolving door culture--why revolving?--no one can stand working/inter-facing with her, it becomes apparent, and she sees them eliminated and she moves on to her next target.

Other Employee Reviews for The OutCast Agency

"Intern/Associate: Worth every minute."

Former Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The OutCast Agency as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want to learn and work in tech PR, have the BEST clients (hands down, no other firm has the top-to-bottom account wins that OutCast does) work with insanely qualified people, and set yourself up for the future in case it doesn't work out or you want to move on, then there are very few (if any) other places where you can do all that. You just need to go in with the proper expectations.

*By the end of your time at OC, you will be able to name the players (big and small) in tech media, and what they like to write about. Interns are not allowed to pitch media, but.. you're an intern, so it happens.

*Learn PR - If you pay attention, learn and perform on the things you will be asked to do on a fast turnaround, you will be better prepared than the majority of AC/AAEs at other firms. It's PR bootcamp.

*Clients - You will work with 3-4 client accounts at a time, and they will be a combination of established/startup/consumer/enterprise and at least one of them will be a major player - Facebook, Airbnb, a16z, Box, GE, Instagram, Pinterest, Spotify, etc.

*The island: My time on "the island", with the other interns was a big part of why I enjoyed the experience. Having 10 other people who are going through the same things as you, and having them as a support system, is critical. You are competing for a full-time job with them, but if the right people are there, it won't feel like that.

*Network - If things don't work out, the HR and VP/SVPs are really nice and know a people all over the PR and Tech industries that will help you find a job, if you prove you can perform.

*Office - "Start-up cool" looking office with open seating in a great location: MUNI stops right in front of the SOMA office, which happens to be across the street from AT&T Park. Roof deck for relaxation, too.

Cons

In full disclosure, this is a competitive, stressful and fast paced work environment. When you work on multiple accounts, accounts that are popular with media and who have no promise they will be around in a year, that's just the way it is. People are told to be hyper-professional, especially over email.

If you expect this job, or really any PR job, to be easy-going, you will be disappointed, but that is the trade-off that comes from being able to do the work you do.

HR was vastly overworked while I was there, but I believe they have increased staffing.

The staff can be a bit clique-y and not the friendliest, but they are also under the gun all the time.

The biggest issue is the monthly reports: Every account puts together monthly summaries of activities that largely fall on the interns to draft (which can take 5-10 hours each), that are detailed to a degree that hinders productivity with other deliverables. I find it difficult to believe that they represent a worth-wile ROI, considering the time/resources that go into them.

Advice to Management

Reduce monthly reporting scope, pair interns with a staff member mentor that they do not report to, keep pulling in amazing clients.

2. "Great Potential, but..."

I worked at The OutCast Agency full-time

Pros

Good benefits
    Some good people working here
    Casual dress code

Cons

Lots of complainers
    Very clique-y
    Too quiet!
    Not enough enforcement of policies from higher up

Advice to Management

More communication! Less endless meetings